Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Planning First WC Build

Last response: in Overclocking
April 21, 2010 10:05:23 PM

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this forum and I am planning to do my first WC build. I have all of the computer components in my cart and ready to order but I haven't decided on any WC parts yet. The components are as follows:

CORSAIR 800D CASE
ASUS P6X58D Premium MOBO
Intel Core i7-930 PROC
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 @1.65V RAM
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W PSU
2X WD Raptor 150GB Hard Drives RAID 0
WD CAVIAR Blue 500GB Hard Drive
GTX 480 or Radeon 5970 (Haven't Decided)

I am having a hard time deciding on WC components and what I actually need for this rig. I am planning on overclocking both the cpu and gpus (I will adding another gpu in a few months) and I am not sure the best way to go about cooling it. Here are my main questions:

Should i worry about cooling the north bridge/southbridge/voltage regulator? If so should I include those in my cpu loop?

What size RADs should I need for a two loop system? One rad cooling CPU/Chipset and the other RAD cooling either 2 GTX 480s or 2 5970s.

I am thinking of 2 5.25" bay reservoirs. Is that enough?

How many/what kind of fittings should I expect to get?

I am new to water cooling and I haven't been into overclocking really since P4 days. I have been reading forums and researching this for awhile and I wanted to get some opinions before I made the plunge. I can afford to spend about $500 on the WC components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More about : planning build

April 21, 2010 10:36:39 PM

campbelldeluxe,

We really recommend thoroughly reading the following thread a few times as it will educate you and point you in the right direction when it comes to water cooling your system.
New to watercooling? READ HERE FIRST!

-ouch1
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 10:52:38 PM

^ Amen to that.
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 2:14:44 AM

Hehe, you might want to learn about heatloads. read me first at the top is a great way to start learning. The links are there, you need to read them and dig deep. Also the other forums I listed in the read me first, you should read 20-50 threads from beginning to end.

You'll need at a MINIMUM a 120x3 for two 480s, and if you overclock and voltage mod, a 120x4 for the GPUs. You can get by with a 120x2 for the CPU.

You'll NEED TWO seperate loops, not touching each other at all. Seperate pumps etc.

My rig, two loops:
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...

And umm $500 for two massive GPUs and the CPU? Might bump it to $700 or so.

Two pumps $150
Two quality rads $230
CPU block $70
Two FC GPU blocks $250
Tubing, fans, clamps, fittings $70. Good fans are $14 each, you'll need 5.
April 22, 2010 8:08:43 PM

Well, I just got my first watercooling kit and actually assembled it last night. Still leak testing it. As it is my first build, I don't have much experience, but I have run into a few problems, while not major, may help make your build go better.

Here is my build if your interested. :)  I am running a single gtx 480 with it's own loop, and I plan on going sli soon hopefully.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286312-33-8800-upgrad...

Keep in mind it's not finished just yet.

Anyways, when I was building my loop, I didn't take into account my tubing flexibility. Conumdrum warned me, and I didn't listen to him. If you are gonna get hose, get tygon tubing, as I had to change my loop around due to the fact that my hose wasn't flexible enough, and kinked. Even thought I used anti-kink coils (again conumdrum warned me) the anti-kink coils didn't stop the kinking. If you really need anti-kink coil, i'd go with internal, or if anyone makes metal external anti-kink coils..?

Another thing is designing your setup, I'd spend a lot more time designing your loop. When I was designing mine I didn't take into account my cpu cooler, which was in the way. So I had to move my gtx 480 down to the second pcie slot. When I go sli I think i'm gonna have to go with water cooling my cpu also, otherwise I think the hose is gonna hit it.

Also, something I didn't know about, is you shouldn't run aluminum if your running copper in your system, cuz it will cause corrosion.
Also, distilled water is the best, Most all in one liquids are bad for your system in the long run. Even the non conductive fluids turn conductive eventually. And the general consensus is that U.V. fluid is horrible for your system. Although I have had someone tell me they used HydrX in there system for two years without any problems. Distilled water is the best to use.

All in all, my first build has been an educational fun experience. My best suggestion is read read read.

Oh, also, if you are gonna run gtx 480's I would go with the evga cooling solution, I voided my warranty on my card because I wanted a gtx 480 so bad I couldn't wait and bought a galaxy card. So when i was removing the stock cooler, the screws actually had thread lock on them, and was damn near impossible to get them out. Still not sure if I damaged my card. If you do go with an after market cooler, I bought the danger den block, because the reviews I read vs. the koolance block, the reviews show the danger den block is much less restrictive yet cools about the same. But it is almost 3 lbs. I haven't weighed it, but shipping weight was 3 1/2 lbs and it is really heavy. Think I am gonna add some support to it. Not sure how though. Anyways, if my writing is funny today it's cuz i've been up since 3am.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, make sure when you buy your tubing and connectors, you buy the right sizes, I bought the wrong size cuz I didn't know O.D. means outside diameter, and I.D. means inside diameter. Stupid mistake on my part, but hey, i'm a noob to water cooling.
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 3:50:20 AM

Thanks dream. I'd say your only problems were rushing it. It's a big change from air to water. Lots AND lots AND lots of small things that you don't know about.

OP:

DON'T RUSH it. I spent 3 months reading almost daily on THREE different forum and seeing member inputs and gatering links for my fav file. I learned from thier inputs. It wasn't hard after that, to buy the right stuff and building my first loop. In fact after my first loop I knew enuff to help someone else and ranted this long helpful link.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...

I was still kinda new, but learned a LOT.

It's all up to you, many VERY IMPRTANT links are in the sticky at the top of this forum.

You get what you deserve in a hobby. Max effort, max benefit.

My rig;
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...
!