Direct3d problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cltn2080

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
So I just return home after two weeks of absence, start up my computer and find that all of a sudden my PC will not run Direct3d applications at all. The message(s) I get in the DirectX Diagnostic tool is:

Hardware accelerated Direct3D 9+ is not available because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

I am running on an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 with driver version 180.48, Windows XP 32 Service pack 3, a core 2 duo 3.0, 4GB ram and Foxcon P45A01 motherboard. My hardware or software has not been modified at all. In fact, my computer has not even been turned on since it was last running fine a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine would could have gone wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Use the add/ remove control panel to uninstall your game and patches.

2.Now reinstall Direct X over its previous install

3. Use the add/ remove control panel to remove all your video drivers. You will now be using the default VGA driver provided with Windows. Stop the automatic found new hardware wizard from starting, everytime you reboot.

4.Download the latest drivers for your video card. Do not install yet.

5. Now re-install the game and patch. After installing the game, try to start it, you will get the same error message.

6. Now install your new video drivers and reboot.

7. Now try starting your game, it should work.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
one thing to add that i have found.
Get a copy of driver sweeper (its free) and after deleting the vid drivers, use that prog to erase any trace of them.
Then boot to vga.
Once in a while Nvidia drivers try to revert if you have had any other versions installed and this will fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.