First time builder, what to look out for?

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Hi, I am expecting my new build to arrive from newegg within a few days. I have never built a computer before, other than adding a harddrive, ram, power supply, and video card.

Is there anything I should look out for? Are there any tests I should run to say, test my RAM or harddrive to see if they are defective? Is there anything I should do for my motherboard, ie get the latest version from a website or something? And as far as cabling goes for the motherboard, I honestly have no idea how that's going to work. Hopefully there will be some vague directions on how I'm supposed to connect up the motherboard. Can you guys give any hints?

My build:
Asus P5Qpro
LG DVD burner with lightscribe
Core 2 Duo e8400
WD 640gb (reused)
8800gt (reused)
Gskill PI black 2*2GB DDR2 800mhz
500w earthwatts
Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit

Well I don't really like open box parts myself. The only time I buy previously used parts is when I can get a steal on eBay for cheap builds with people willing to take a risk, and it usually turns out pretty good but not always. Anyway make sure to stress test the system in general with Prim95. Make sure to test to video card by running 3dmark and vantage a few times and see if you notice any artifacts at all. If you see artifacts or weird behavior send it back.

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I'll be sure to test the video card, it was a really good offer that I couldn't pass up. The harddrive was bought new and was used in my old system, but I never tested it before.