Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Dimension 4600i audio driver?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 9, 2011 4:32:10 AM

Believe sought driver is API 198x ..... however keep finding Vinyl AC '97 and cannot get rid of it. Also this non-tech user understands that chipset drivers should be first in followed by 'the others'. And was told that a reboot should be accomplished after each driver.
Would appreciate valid, simple advice to get system back to 'normal'.
Thanks
a b \ Driver
May 9, 2011 12:35:21 PM

Some advice, is that occasionally dell driver can be a pain
And it takes some patience to get it straightened out.
First find out what the actual driver is supposed to be, Look up the specs for the audio hardware in the dell user manual. If it really is API 198X, you need to know for sure. The manual can be downloaded to find out what the hardware really is.
NEXT, go to the dell website and type in the search box: API 198 drivers
Then you will get a list of downloadable drivers for that specific hardware.

I need to clue you in about dell drivers: This is what Dell does not tell you. If you search for drivers by the computer model number, on the dell website, you will be directed to a list of downloadable drivers.
But these drivers will not install unless you install "dell download manager" first!
AND this list of drivers may not include the driver you really need.

so...DON"T install the "dell download manager"
Look up the driver on the dell website by typing the hardware manufacturer (not the computer model) into the search box, and find the list of drivers for that specific audio hardware.
These drivers will not be listed with the drivers under the computer model number.

Now download that hardware driver and save to the desktop.

Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.
Let the forum know if that solves the problem. SGM

May 22, 2011 5:50:27 AM

Thanks for the assist and advice. However, I'm a 'computer user' and got lost early on. The Dell Drivers and Download site specifies the API 198x as the correct driver for my Dell Service Tag, so I have downloaded and installed it at least 10 times in the past two weeks. My procedure is d/l the audio driver, which places R94481 in C/Dell/drivers; I click on Setup.exe and believe I have installed.

'Sometimes' I find the SoundMAX listed in Device Mgr/Audio .... Then I test for Text to Speech at Ctrl Panel/Speech and normally the voice we use for my blind wife's reader (VW Kate from NaturalReaders) will read the test phrase. Then I confirm SoundMAX at Sounds and Audio Devices and expect to have text read for my wife.
Recently have encountered the SoundMAX being replaced by a driver named Vinyl PC'97 Audio (WAVE) which I NEVER had seen until the first time it showed up (and now I cannot eliminate the bugger). Guaranteed I have never attempted to D/L that as a driver for this computer.
Also have found an Add or Remove entry for SoundMAX that I cannot remove due to some Internal Failure - Error #0x80040704 followed by a bunch of items (String COMPANY NAME and others listed). Item cannot be cleared.
Also periodically receive a 'No ADI Codec Driver installed' after attempts to once again install the ADI 198x ... (SoundMAX) driver. This happened immediately prior to accessing your response.
Must admit the cptr worked just fine until the Vinyl AC'97 showed up 'out of nowhere'. And my tech level is not sufficient to grasp all the details of the advice you have provided (or other info I have seen in my search for 'return to normal').
For example, would not dare undertake an effort like re-installing XP (don't think I have enuf years left to learn the drill!!)
Let me sum up by saying that I have reinstalled the ADI 198x (SoundMAX) at least 10 times over the past couple weeks; found the driver listed in the Device Mgr, but cannot get the Text to Speech to function correctly.
If someone can lead me by the hand I will try and follow along. Thankfully our Dell laptop at the other end of the house on a wireless network will read so my wife has assistance.
a b \ Driver
August 8, 2012 8:59:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!