cant get system to boot.

soul stealer

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
its been a long time since i have built a new system so im pretty sure i have just set up somthing wrong. so here is what i have and the problem i am having.

asus m2n-sli delux mobo
amd athalon 64 x2 6000+ dual core
Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
eVGA GeForce 8600GTS Video Card PCIe
western digital 120gb hdd IDE (previous build)
old crappy asus dvd rom IDE (previous build)
new pioneer dvd rom/burner SATA
and ancient 3.5 floppy drive (previous build)

my previous mobo had 2 ide channels so i had the hard drive on one, and my dvd rom and a really old cd burner on the other. when i got this new mobo it only has 1 ide channel and 5 SATA. not realizing the signifigance of this till i went to install all my new parts i found that i couldn't install both my cd drives, so i wentout and got the pioneer one. now i have everything all hooked up and when i turn the computer on, itgoes to POST the flashes a quick warning that no drive was found and then goes to a screen giving me an option to boot in safe mode, boot with last working config, or boot windows normally. when i try to boot normally i geta BSOD for abouta tenth of a second (so fast i cant read anything on it) then the computer reboots. if i try safe mode or last known config, it scrolls a bunch of driver settings on the screen then BSOD again and reboots. i also tried to boot from windows xp cd, but its not even trying to read it.

my guess it that i have some jumper set wrong, or some setting in bios is incorrect. my computer has not given me any beep codes either, so i am assuming it is not hardware related (plus most of it is new anyway). any suggestions or questions that i can clarify would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

You should invest in a SATA HD and use the single IDE connector for your optical drives. Multiple devices on the single IDE cable must have their jumpers set properly. The IDE cable has a pin 1 which must be plugged into the MB and devices correctly. So, use a new SATA drive and load up your OS and apps. Use the single IDE connector for your optical drives. Then possibly buy an external USB case and use the WD 120 GB IDE HD you have as a removable storage solution. HTH.

soul stealer

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
well i know the cable is pluged in the right way (kinda have to try really hard to get it to go in wrong) as for the jumper, i have tried setting them several different ways , all with the same result of the OS not booting, so im leaning towards it being a bios issue.

What ways have you tried them? They will only work 1 way.
The drive must be set to master, and be on the end of the ribbon cable.
The Optical drive must be set to slave, and be on the second connection of the ribbon cable.
Your boot order in the BIOS should be set to CD first, then the hard drive.
Since you have no SATA drives yet, simply disable the SATA controllers.
You will need to reinstall Windows, or at very least do a repair installation to get your OS to work properly with your new motherboard. You cannot simply move a Windows installation from board to board, all of your new hardware is completely different than the old hardware Windows has been setup for. If you are very, very lucky, you may get Windows to boot, but it will be extremely buggy at best until you either do a new install, or do the repair install.
The best case scenerio here is leave you current drive uninstalled, go get you a new SATA drive, install Windows on it, then ad your IDE drive back in as a secondary drive, so you have access to all your data.
But really, with that new build, you want a good SATA drive.....that old IDE drive is not doing you any favors and really handicaps all of your new faster hardware.

soul stealer

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
ok..as far as the jumper position and cable conection that helps alot. i DO have a SATA dvd rom drive. i also can not connect the IDE hd and IDE dvd on the same cable unless the dvd is on the end and the HD is on the second one.

so if i just connect the HD on the ide and only use the SATA dvd rom, is there some fancy way to get that to work, even if its just to try and do a repair install of windows. buying more hardware is really my last resort, but if i cant get this to workthen that is probibly what i will have to do.

Take the jumper completely 'off' with the Western Digital 120GB IDE HD. Use the WD hard drive with 'no' jumper when using as a single. Then attach it to the first (end) connector. Then use your SATA optical drive.

soul stealer

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
thanks for the help guys. i got the IDE drive running, although the repair install totally screwed up a bunch of stuff. (no IE or any Media Players) so i ended up just getting a SATA drive and im in the process of reinstalling all my programs, and i can get all the data off my old HD.

TRENDING THREADS