Dual-Screen setup across two systems

rx93nuera

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
As my current computer setup is falling behind latest game requirements, I've decided to build a new gaming-specific rig, which will have SLI support. I'll be keeping the current computer for school/work/storage/daily use, as it works fairly well for those tasks. I'd also like to switch over to a dual screen setup. My current PC only has one video card. I'm looking to satisfy the following scenario:

- Work PC will be setup on dual screen
- Gaming PC will be setup on one screen
- Both PCs will work off the same keyboard/mouse setup
- Work PC can still function when Gaming PC is active

That is to say, I'll have a main monitor which can switch between Work PC and Gaming PC, and a second screen which will work only with the Work PC.

How would I accomplish this setup?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sounds like you want a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch. Assuming your work PC has dual graphic outputs, connect output 1 of the work PC to your secondary monitor. Connect output 2 of the work PC, video output of the gaming pc, keyboard and mouse to the KVM. Connect the KVM video output to the main monitor; keyboard and mouse connections to your PCs.

Make sure the KVM supports the resolution/connections of your gaming monitor

-Wolf sends

rx93nuera

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks Wolfshadw, that makes a lot of sense. Now let's say I want to take my setup another step further, and want two combinations of keyboard/mouse.

Let me explain. I'll set the KVM to the primary monitor, keyboard, and mouse to share between the work computer and the gaming computer. The secondary monitor will be dedicated to the work system strictly. If I switch the KVM to turn on the gaming rig, I still want the ability to use my work system alongside the gaming rig ... but I'll need another keyboard and mouse. I'm thinking I have to get two KVM boxes, one strictly for video, and another to handle the mouse and keyboard. That way, I can have the following scenarios:

- Dual screen work set up
- Gaming computer on one screen
- Gaming computer on one screen, work computer on secondary monitor

Wolfshadw

Titan
Let's see if we can make this simple. Does the main monitor have multiple inputs (such as 1 DVI and 1 VGA)?

If so, then you'll only need one KVM, but only for the Keyboard and Mouse. Use the Input Selection on your main monitor to switch between the gaming PC and the work PC. So the work PC would be directly connected to the secondary monitor and the secondary input (VGA) on the primary monitor. The gaming PC would be directly connected to the primary input (DVI) on the primary monitor. Use the KVM for the keyboard and mouse only, to switch when necessary.

-Wolf queries