Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Shut down box delay

Last response: in Windows XP
May 9, 2011 4:34:01 AM

When I press the start button, and then press turn off computer it takes 2 minutes for the shutdown box with "restart, Standby, and shutdown" to appear. There is nothing running in the background, no programs running. One thing more when you first start the pc all is fine, you can press shutdown and the shutdown command box will come right on. It is only after he pc sits for a while that it has the delay. I even made a shortcut with the shut down command in it and I still get that delay and it is always almost exactly 2 minutes. I may make a note there was numerous virus cleaned from this pc with MALWAREBYTES, SYPBOT, SUPERANTISPYWARE, VIPRERESCUE, AND HIJACKTHIS. Thanks for your help

More about : shut box delay

May 9, 2011 4:47:23 AM

Check for programs that are running at start up in hidden mode.

When you shut down your pc it first closes all the running programs and then shuts down.

BruceMyers48 said:
.... It is only after he pc sits for a while that it has the delay. ....

Who is he?
Score
May 9, 2011 1:36:18 PM

The problem is the shut down box doesn't show up for two minutes so it is not shutting down until you select shutdown. I have also eliminated any programs that were running. After the two minute wait for the shutdown command to appear and you do press shut down it turns off with no wait. So the the problem is why do I have to wait two minutes for the shutdown command box to appear?
Score
Related resources
May 17, 2011 5:10:57 PM

Akashdeep said:
Replace your existing kernel32.dll and User32.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?kerne... and http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?user3...

That should solve your issue as most of these error occurs from either corrupt User32.dll or kernel32.dll.

I tried that same process, I downloaded the kernel32 but was not able to download the user32, so I extracted on of the xp cd. The end result was the same. The strange thing about this is the first 10 or 15 minutes after you boot up there is no problem bringing up the shutdown dialog box. a half hour or hour later is when it takes 3 to 4 minutes to bring the box up. Thanks for your help
Score
May 17, 2011 5:29:01 PM

Yeah some program is not getting the shutdown call, or is ignoring it, or is taking too long to respond.

Ive run into this before and the slacker way to fix it is make a link to "shutdown -f -s -t 00" without the quotes. Not the best way to do it but it will force a shutdown regardless if any programs arent.......getting with the program.......
Score
May 17, 2011 8:32:30 PM

Tried the shutdown shortcut, took same amount of time. Thanks
Score
June 15, 2011 10:39:00 AM

BruceMyers48 said:
I tried that same process, I downloaded the kernel32 but was not able to download the user32, so I extracted on of the xp cd. The end result was the same. The strange thing about this is the first 10 or 15 minutes after you boot up there is no problem bringing up the shutdown dialog box. a half hour or hour later is when it takes 3 to 4 minutes to bring the box up. Thanks for your help

As Wanamingo has said, some of your running program(may be some dll files too) are not getting closed after you trigger shut down command.

You need to manually check the running processes from the System Task Manager to confirm which one is running so lazy.

Also you can should check your registry for any silent program that runs at OS start up.
Score
!