Help..need advice...new pc config?

ayushp13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Help...need advice...
hello friends after reading loads of reviews and bencmarks i have decided on configuring my first gaming pc and after sooo muchh... of saving(2 years)...i need you guys to tell is it good enough to play crysis like fps games on 1680X1050 resolution...
here it goes...
Configuration :
Processor : Core2Q6600
Motherboard : ASUS P5Q Deluxe
RAM : CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB
Graphics Card : PALiT Radeon HD 4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition
Sound Solution : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (likes to listen to music heavily)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATAII X 2
Other Disk Drive : Samsung 22X DVD-RW
Keyboard : Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110
Mouse : Razer DeathAdder
Mouse Mat : Razer Mantis
Game Controller : Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Cabinet : ZEBRONICS Pro Series B2 Transparent Side Panel [no money left 4 branded cabinets like cooler master/thermaltake :-(
PSU : COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 1000W nVIDIA SLI / 80 Plus (later pairing graphics card with another hd4870 1gb next year when price comes down to half thats why decided on 1000watts..)
Monitor : Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
Speakers : Logitech Z-2300 [limited budjet thats why no z5500..its way too expensive.. :-(
UPS : APC Back-UPS RS 1100VA for atleast 10 minutes of backup..
for overclocking the processor :
1.COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 CPU Cooler with extra Cooler Master Blue LED Mod Case Fan 120mm
2.COOLER MASTER High Performance Thermal Interface Material
Modding includes :
1.Sunbeam Cold Cathode Kit/30cm/S/Blue X 2
2.Antec UV Cable Wrap-White for better airflow
what do you guys think..?

ayushp13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Help...need advice...on my 1st gaming rig...
after reading loads of reviews and benchmarks i have decided on configuring my first gaming pc and after sooo muchh... of saving(2 years)...i need to know whether is it good enough to play crysis like fps games on 1680X1050 resolution...
here it goes...
Configuration :
Processor : Core2Q6600 (want to try my hands at overclocking a bit)
Motherboard : ASUS P5Q Deluxe (because of good stabality for overclocking as compared to p5q pro/p5qe)
RAM : CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB (famous speed for overclocking)
Graphics Card : PALiT Radeon HD 4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition (i think its better than gtx 260 (216core) at 1680X1050 resolution in majority of reviews)
Sound Solution : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (likes to listen to music heavily)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATAII X 2 (not for raid actually...want one for os and other for games)
Other Disk Drive : Samsung 22X DVD-RW (fastest dvd-rw right now and reliable too)
Keyboard : Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 (i am not a hardcore gamer thats why i skipped on gaming keyboard as it will increase my budget and also i like to have less clutter on desktop)
Mouse : Razer DeathAdder (exellent and popular 3g infrared gaming mouse according to lots of reviews)
Mouse Mat : Razer Mantis (speed version for fps games)
Game Controller : Logitech Dual Action Gamepad (for games like dmc4)
Cabinet : ZEBRONICS Pro Series B2 Transparent Side Panel [no money left 4 branded cabinets like cooler master/thermaltake :-( but this cabinet is as good as branded ones...:)
PSU : COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 1000W nVIDIA SLI / 80 Plus (later i'll buy and upgrade my rig to Q9650 and HD4870X2 2GB, also want to overclock the current rig which will have increased power requirements.i have 1000watts keeping one thing in mind that it should last me for atleast 3-4 upgrades including corei7 also dont want to invest in crossfire setup as it will not be easy to dispose two graphics card as compared to one)
Monitor : Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (best pair with HD4870 which is good at 1680X1050 resolution)
Speakers : Logitech Z-2300 (da best 2.1 setup available right now...also i have a limited budjet thats why no z5500..its way too expensive.. :-( and also 2.1 setup is good for listening music as well as it reduces desktop clutter compared to 5.1 setups)
UPS : APC Back-UPS RS 1100VA for atleast 10 minutes of backup..
for overclocking the processor :
1.COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 CPU Cooler with extra Cooler Master Blue LED Mod Case Fan 120mm (top ten air coolers for intel processors according to lots of reviews)
2.COOLER MASTER High Performance Thermal Interface Material
Modding includes :
1.Sunbeam Cold Cathode Kit/30cm/S/Blue X 2
2.Antec UV Cable Wrap-White for better airflow

I am guessing you live in India, because that is the only country I can find that has Zebronics.

Regardless, I don't see any Zebronics cases that are adequate, although they are certainly cheap. You need to find a well-cooled case if you are serious about overclocking. It doesn't matter how much money you spend on a CPU cooler if the inside of the case is hot.

I don't know what reviews you are looking at, but here is a MODERN, complete list of the ten best Intel coolers:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Other than that' it's a great build. :)

ayushp13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
hi proximon, i appreciate that you approved my pc configuration..i have selected hyper 212 after reading this review: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2206
also it is easily available in my area..is it good enough for a overclocked q6600@3.0GHz?
also because of my tight budget i planned to purchase zebronics b2 cabinet, u can check this cabinet here: http://www.zebronics.net/pro_b2.asp
is this cabinet good enough for my overclocked system?
i was also wondering if i purchase corsair 750watts psu i will be able to shell out some extra bucks for a decent branded cabinet, but iam really confused about it...because after overclocking the cpu and graphics card, will 750watts psu be able to handle increased power requirement? i have seen newegg calculator and according to my cofiguration it says you require 676watts psu and it also says:The PSU Wattage we recommend only gives you a general idea on what to consider while selecting a power supply. PCI cards, External devices, USB and Firewire devices, Cooling fans and other components may need more power.
also not to mention my extra hard disk, sound card, extra 120mm cooling fans, modding cathode tube x 2, usb devices etc.etc.
i dont know, iam really confused here what i should do.should i purchase corsair 750watts psu and save some money for a decent cabinet or should i ditch the idea of buying 750watts against coolermaster 1000watts psu?
is zebronics b2 cabinet really bad? i dont know how to send the picture of cabinet through thread but i can give you some details about this cabinet(but i think that wont be enough unless you see the cabinet..)
Specifications

Model
B2
Hosing Materials
0.8mm thickness SECC
Housing Type
Midi Tower
Form factor
ATX / Micro ATX
Expansion slots
7 Slots
Chassis dimensions
485(d)x425(h)x200(w)mm
Drive space (Ex/in)
5.25''x3.5"x3, floppyx 1
Net Weight
5.5kgs
Gross Weight
7kgs
System Fans
Transparent side panel - 3 (Front, Side & rear)
Non-Transparent Side Panel -2 (Side & rear)

Key Features

Supports 2power supplies
All accessories included to run 2power supplies simultaneously
Special Heat radiating alloy
Transparent Side panel (optional)
Front intake fan to cool HDDs
PCl Vent and side intake to cool CPU and graphic cards
120 mm fans included
i think it is comparable to cooler master cm690 as it also has 120mm front, rear and side fans...zebronics b2 also has 120 mm front, rear and side fans with that it can also accommodate two power supplies specially one solely for graphics card and other for rest of the system.
(i was wondering if you could tell me how to post picture in thread, i will post the pictures of the cabinet)
waiting for your reply...

scorpion_anshul

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hi ayush, as proximon pointed out its a nice build mostly but i would also suggest you to change the case, you would be better off with Antec 900 or 300 depending upon your requirements..

Corsair 750TX PSU will be more than enough for your config, so yes you can make that change...

Also, if you can, get atleast 640GB 32 MB buffer HDD from WD in place of that 250 gb one...

ps: are you from india?

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I'll second both of the guys from before and add that w/ a good case and a little better cooler; something like a sunbeam, xigmatec, thermalright or a good zalman and then you'll be able to hit a much higher speed than 3GHz, the Q6600 is a good OCer and is very satisfying when OCed high. I have an antec 900 w/ TRUE 120 and hit 3.6 w/ a 60 degrees max.
one more thing, you don't want crossfire support... next year you probably won't upgrade (you'll get good enough performance so you won't need) and when you will need to upgrade there will be a better single card alternative.
get one big HDD (the 640 offered here sounds good) and a beefy 160GB fast drive for OS and apps if it fits your budget.
one last thing is the memory, for OCing the Q6600 you can use a DDR800 memory and get excellent results (it hits the air cooling barrier at about 430MHz so it doesn't really matter).
one last thing, if you don't have UV light in your case take some awkwardly colored cable wrap and use that; or the black ones :).
Have fun and enjoy your new rig :):):).

If the PSU was some junky Raidmax or Rosewill, then you might need 675W :)

Your configuration, as you list it, should only pull around 500W max at the wall, probably less.

So, once you figure in margin and capacitor aging, a 750TX should still be more than enough.

If you added two fans to that case you linked, it might be OK... but I would never recommend it as I have no experience with it. Try to get an Antec 300. I saw at least one site in India that carries it... although it was at least twice as much as the Zebronics.

ayushp13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
hi proximan..how r u? i finally bought cooler master 1000watts psu because didnt want to compromise with future upgrade corei7/crossfire/sli option and cooler master cm 690 case with transparent side panel...how is cm 690..? is it better than antec 300 or both are the same..? and i appreciate for your helpful reply to me.i also find your other guides extremely helpful regarding new builds...i was wondering that, do you have your own blog or a website where i can find other useful information from you...waiting for your reply...again thank u very much...

The CM 690 is a very good case. Some like it better than the Antec 300.

I don't know which CM 1000W you bought, but I believe they make 2 and they are both good.

The internet is full of sites that were started by people like me. They wrote some good stuff, posted it, then abandoned the site and it became obsolete. :p

I have to admit if I thought I could make an advice site profitable I would probably give it a try ;)