synchronizing with installing hotsync or other software

June 27, 2005 12:04:03 PM

Hello all, hope this is the correct group.

I need to somehow regularly get the information from my palm device
onto my computer, and vice versa. However, as i work for a large
company, with an even larger IT departement (:, they have locked down
all the PC's. This means that i cannot install any software, only run
standalone programs.

So, my question is, does a software package exist that allows some
level of synching on palm devices, but does not need to be installed?
I'm trying to synch with Outlook.

Any suggestions of how to achieve this?
thanks in advance for any help ....
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:40:37 AM

On 27 Jun 2005 08:04:03 -0700, tkjjkt@yahoo.co.uk (TheStranger) wrote:

>Hello all, hope this is the correct group.
>
>I need to somehow regularly get the information from my palm device
>onto my computer, and vice versa. However, as i work for a large
>company, with an even larger IT departement (:, they have locked down
>all the PC's. This means that i cannot install any software, only run
>standalone programs.
>
>So, my question is, does a software package exist that allows some
>level of synching on palm devices, but does not need to be installed?
>I'm trying to synch with Outlook.
>
>Any suggestions of how to achieve this?
>thanks in advance for any help ....

How well locked down? Do they allow floppy disks or USB drives? Do you
have a serial port or USB port? How do you get the stand alone
programs on to the computer?

Have you considered sending the data from your Palm to your company
e-mail account as an attachment?

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

June 28, 2005 3:51:04 AM

Victor Roberts schrieb:
> On 27 Jun 2005 08:04:03 -0700, tkjjkt@yahoo.co.uk (TheStranger) wrote:
>
> >Hello all, hope this is the correct group.
> >
> >I need to somehow regularly get the information from my palm device
> >onto my computer, and vice versa. However, as i work for a large
> >company, with an even larger IT departement (:, they have locked down
> >all the PC's. This means that i cannot install any software, only run
> >standalone programs.
> >
> >So, my question is, does a software package exist that allows some
> >level of synching on palm devices, but does not need to be installed?
> >I'm trying to synch with Outlook.
> >
> >Any suggestions of how to achieve this?
> >thanks in advance for any help ....
>
> How well locked down? Do they allow floppy disks or USB drives? Do you
> have a serial port or USB port? How do you get the stand alone
> programs on to the computer?
>
> Have you considered sending the data from your Palm to your company
> e-mail account as an attachment?
>

> --
> Vic Roberts
> Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Hello,
the laptop is open for use with a usb and a floppy. Serial port is
also available. Gettting the standalone programs on the machine is no
problem, intranet, internet, shared drives, usb, etc. etc.
Perhaps there is some exporting function that could be used? But then
again, that would not not be real synching, which is not good.
This is a real pain, particularly since the company actually supported
(bought units for people) the palm device. Now they've changed over to
PPC.
So, it looks like it is going to be impossible?

thanks again for any help.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:54:37 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:04:37 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Victor Roberts wrote:
>> On 27 Jun 2005 08:04:03 -0700, tkjjkt@yahoo.co.uk (TheStranger) wrote:
>>>So, my question is, does a software package exist that allows some
>>>level of synching on palm devices, but does not need to be installed?
>>>I'm trying to synch with Outlook.
>> How well locked down? Do they allow floppy disks or USB drives? Do you
>> have a serial port or USB port? How do you get the stand alone
>> programs on to the computer?
>>
>> Have you considered sending the data from your Palm to your company
>> e-mail account as an attachment?
>
>I think what he's talking about is that he can use a program that
>doesn't require modifications to the system's files (ie installing).

I asked the question because I know of companies that have really
locked down their PCs. No floppy, no USB drives. No way to get data
into or out of the machine other than through the corporate network.
(I believe they can read from but not write to CD.)

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:11:44 PM

Very strange that they won't allow installation of palm desktop. I
believe it has to do with reducing costs. Basically, if no one can do
anything with their laptops anymore, then the support costs will
probably go down. This can easily be measured in dollars.
In comparison, the reduced effectiveness of the employees not being
able to use the email, calendering, etc. functions of their palm device
cannot be so easily measured.
This is, unfortunately, a normal metric that is used today for
departments to stop doing things they used to do, all under the
pressures of cost reductions.

As an example, all of of our computers, laptops and desktop PCs will in
the future be supplied without any exterior storage capability, except
USB. So, no floppy drives and no CD drives. Only a USB port. But, if
you want to use a USB stick for data transfer with suppliers you must
buy it personally.
CD drives are allocated in the IT department, which of course you can
schedule and use anytime you want to.
So, a supplier gives you a CD with a drawing, and you say "hang on,
i'll schedule an appointment with the IT department and let you know
what i think ... i'll get back to you next week"
This is progress!

But, i'm getting off of the point ..... i need to really find a way to
synch the device with my outlook!
!