Sign in with
Your question

AMD to ship 32nm chips in 2010 (Very Exciting News!!)

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2009 6:49:41 PM

Intel is believed to be producing 32nm CPU's sooner this year....AMD later. Is this bad for AMD? well not really because Intel typically rush products....AMD take their time and keep high standards. Phenom II is giving Intel a real headache...32nm AMD parts just could get Intel very frightened indeed. I was very excited to hear about these 32nm parts and I can't contain my excitement.

Article:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/28/amd-to-ship-32...

Article Quotes:

Quote:
Information Week is reporting that processor-giant AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) is planning to begin shipping 32nm chips next year, in 2010.

The word comes from AMD's Chief Executive Dirk Meyer, stating that volume production of the chips will begin next year in the fourth quarter

Quote:
Another interesting point is regarding AMD's acquisition of graphics-producer ATi a while back. Meyer states that, although the buy-out of the GPU maker left AMD in a state of financial woe (2008's Q4 gave AMD a $1.4B loss), he expects it to begin paying off soon, and that owning ATi will give them an advantage in the notebook market

Quote:
AMD will come off on top because, when coupled with ATi technology, their computers deliver better graphics and video

Right will prevail and Evil Intel will feel the power of AMD.

AMD4Life!!
March 1, 2009 7:05:55 PM

Gotta love that guy...............
March 1, 2009 7:08:20 PM

Im sure I saw him on TV the other day, WEC I think it was
March 1, 2009 7:31:43 PM

WHARGARBL
March 1, 2009 7:38:04 PM

AND HE RETURNS!

isnt it great when you know who the OP is just cause of the title of the thread?
March 1, 2009 7:48:03 PM

someone call the city, they forgot some trash at the door....
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2009 8:15:11 PM

here's the bi-annual thunderman post!
March 1, 2009 9:04:02 PM

Intel wont mess up 32nm and I don't think AMD will either. Sounds very much like both companies have aggressively been working on the die shrink to 32nm. Success will be measured in yields which is very much in the air.
March 1, 2009 9:11:48 PM

+1 roofus
March 1, 2009 9:18:09 PM

wouldn't it be extremely funny if thunderman typed that post on an intel-powered machine? :D 
March 1, 2009 9:36:41 PM

Quote:

The word comes from AMD's Chief Executive Dirk Meyer, stating that volume production of the chips will begin next year in the fourth quarter.

So, we're looking at a Q3~Q4 launch in 2011 for AMD's 32nm chip.
March 1, 2009 9:48:55 PM

what i don't understand why microsoft is working so hard to make windows 7 'light' when explosions in chip's computing power like this have been happening for the past 4 years. it will only help netbooks and other low power computers.
March 1, 2009 10:43:51 PM

Look at the sector where people are spending their money. It's cheaper and smaller less powerful laptops and netbooks (am i allowed to say that or is it copyrighted).
March 1, 2009 10:50:02 PM

It will be exciting when for once amd can go a quarter without loosing tons of money.
March 1, 2009 11:29:14 PM

I hope AMD does well, if only to force Intel to lower prices...
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 2, 2009 3:34:18 AM

cheepstuff said:
what i don't understand why microsoft is working so hard to make windows 7 'light' when explosions in chip's computing power like this have been happening for the past 4 years. it will only help netbooks and other low power computers.

Because people who don't know a damn thing about Vista think its a memory hog, slow and unstable when in fact Vista is more stable, faster and utilizes all of your system resources better than XP does.

but they have to please the people.

Anywho, AMDs planning what on the who now? Cuz last time I checked IBM was having a wee bit of trouble with HK/MG at 32nm......
March 2, 2009 4:02:01 AM

Welcome back Thnderman, you friggin looser.
March 2, 2009 9:38:41 AM

And.... roadrunner ruins the fun as usual, the "friggin loose".
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2009 9:57:03 AM

I hope their 32nm chips chew less power than the 45nm high end parts - i7 and the faster Penryn Quads are right on the top end of the power scale we had with the previous line of CPU's.

AMD's new Phenom II's are at least a bit cooler than the Phenom I's and overclock much better (as good as Intel's chips do now).

Will the next range of cpu's be demanding more power ... 150W's to run or so?

That's just madness.

We want more power ... but the damned thing should be much more efficient and chew half the power under load ... and virtually nothing at idle ... while running everything faster.

If it hadn't been for AMD pushing the sustainability angle (out of lack of any other angle to start with I'll grant) we would have 200W CPU's by now.

Both companies need to get really serious about efficiency now.

They can stick that Atom thing in the bin tho ... back to the drawing board there.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 2, 2009 10:01:52 AM

^What do you mean? Intels equivalent Penryn based Core 2 uses quite a bit less power than the euivalent Conroe based Core 2 and the equivalent (to Penryn) speed Core i7 uses about 10-15 watts more since they moved the MC to the CPU.

In fact at least with Intel we went from a ok power usage to lower power usage to a bit higher. Phenom used much more power than Athlon but Phenom II uses quite a bit less which is good, especially at idle.

But I can say for sure Intels 32nm will probably bring around a power drop since it is supposed to have a better version of the HK/MG which should reduce leakage even more meaning less power consumption and heat output.

I would like to think AMDs 32nm will but have yet to see even a single spec sheet on thier version of HK/MG to verify if it will drop power as much as Intels did (if they use something else than Hafnium).

Then its 22nm (Intel at least) that can operate at 3.8GHz using only 1.1v which is pretty damn impressive.
!