Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2010 11:48:46 AM

Well I need to overclock my dd3 Ram sticks and I need some background check knowledge so I've got a couple of questions.

1. Overclocking RAM is only increasing the voltage?
2. Does it require to increase FSB or CPU speed?
3. I have a http://www.directron.com/ocz3g13332g.html?gsear=1 2 Sticks, 2 GB each what would be the settings for that?
4. Can motherboards be damaged?
5. What is the Ideal Voltage? (Kind of like question 3)
6.With a Gigabyte p55m UD2 is there an automatic way? Like a software? Because there is one for OCing the CPU for gigabyte.

Well that's about it for now... :sol: 

More about : overclocking ram

a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 1:46:16 PM

1. No. Increasing voltage is only part of it to make it stable. Overclocking RAM means setting the RAM above its rated speed. Example, your RAM is rated at 1333Mhz. Overcloking it means making it work at speeds higher than 1333Mhz.
2. Mostly yes. But this is not the only way because you can also change the FSB:D RAM ratio. The combination of this ratio and the FSB will determine your RAM speed and whether it is overclocked or not.
3. Based on the specs of your RAM:
1333MHz DDR3
CL 9-9-9-20(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
1.7 Volts
You can set the CL and voltage in the BIOS.
4. In many ways. But treated with care.
5. See #3.
6. Check the manual of your motherboard. Some motherboard have automatic overclocking feature like mine. But I is not as stable as when you do it in the BIOS.

It is strange that your question just deal about overclocking RAM, have you overclocked your CPU in the first place?
April 27, 2010 3:33:20 PM

I have overclocked "A" cpu before but not the current one.
I am asking because there might be 3 things to solve my CRC errors problem, either by changing voltage, moving ram into different slots, or get a new RAM.

I already tried increasing and decreasing Voltages, but the problem was still there..

I was extracting my backup file which was 4gb, before overclocking only 7% was done with overclocking 15%, the file is not corrupted because I have checked it on other computers.
Related resources
April 27, 2010 7:07:17 PM

Well I have just checked, it seems like one of my RAM sticks is messed up or either one of the slots, the slots are in pairs 1,3 and 2,4 will it be safe for me to add RAM in slot 2?
!