Sign in with
Your question

The ULTIMATE $4000 Dollar Build

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2008 5:45:03 PM

Me and my bro decided to split it back into 2k each and decided to make our own builds i decided to go with ATI and he decided to go with NVIDIA so this should be interesting hehe my build is right here.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

i will post his build when he's done but we both agreed not to show each other out builds so we cant copy =p

heres my bros

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

3x EVGA 260s! i think his build has a better bang for buck then mine to be honest..i might drop the sound card and upgrade some stuff =]

but seriously...yea i think he beat me...
December 7, 2008 6:05:14 PM

I resist the opportunity to comment about brother sharing well. The system you have selected will be an outstanding one. With $2k each I think that both of you could have your own system and game against each other online or LAN. For 2k you could each have a system that would be perhaps 95-98% of the performance of the 4k system. If you want comments about the actual parts here goes: Case is over priced in the end it's just a box, check. Many good one out there at half the price. Start with one 4870x2 gpu and see what kind of performance you get, you could add later. I would re-think the HD setup, even a 1T raid would be cheaper and also very fast.
Related resources
December 7, 2008 6:06:18 PM

Dont spend $1000 on a cpu, get the one thats half the price and OC it higher (buy a better heatsink), get one 4870X2 for now and get more memory. $4000 is too much for a PC, because it will get spanked in a year by a $2000 build. Other than that, looks ok.
December 7, 2008 6:11:36 PM

im going to have to say drop the case, and get the Antec 1200, almost as good and half the price, which you could spend on more ram (Like 6GB). Also, I'd have to say drop the Velociraptor and get a different hard drive, maybe RAID 500GB for speed.

And definitely get an aftermarket cooler. I wont recommend stock cooler for OCing.

However, this system appears to be awesome. I do kinda want to agree with topper that you could build a system individually, and have near the same performance. You could then also customize the way you want to, rather than having to agree on something.
December 7, 2008 6:14:37 PM

Tell your bro that you don't want to buy one anymore and tell him to buy one. Since he's not there half the time, use his. Or buy two xbox 360's with Live and get two 46" LCD tvs and play all the cool games online against other people.
December 7, 2008 6:29:31 PM

1 4870x2 is probably overkill for your current monitor. 2 is just a big waste of money.

The Asus P6T is just as good and $100 cheaper.

Why spend $1029 on a CPU when a $295 one will over clock just as high as the $1029 one can go.

The WD green drive is slow.

1 Raptor is slow for a i7 rig. You need raid 0 raptors or raid 0 SSDs for os and apps.

Sound card is a waste of money.

To spend that amount of money and not get more then 3G of ram doesnt even make sense.

If you buy it both of you are ignorant.

You could both get sweet i7 rigs with 1 4870x2 each and play together.
December 7, 2008 6:30:33 PM

Wow, what an impressive waste of money. It even sounds like you're not that rich, but just enjoy burning money needlessly. d
December 7, 2008 6:37:17 PM

If you are using 64 bit vista, please opt for more than 3 gigs of ram. And like Topper said, with a little over 2grand each you could BOTH have kickass rigs taht you can slowly upgrade as new stuff comes out.

2 4870x2's are overkill in my opinion.

the case, as said before, is overkill.

And the i7 965 is great, but you can take the i7920 and OC it to 3.0ghz with the stock cooler (or so i am told, havent gotten mine yet)

If you do chose to go with the 4k system, PLEASE get 6 gigs of ram for x64 vista
December 7, 2008 6:45:48 PM

yea u know what we will build our own and ya were poor but we know how to save each time we got out paycheck we put a portion of it aside JUST TO BUILD A COMPUTER yea ill do 2 ill make a build for it right now..but the problem is we are both like ltierally never home together only on weekends SOMETIMES he takes night classes, i take morning, he works in the day, i work at night
December 7, 2008 6:47:33 PM

+1 to getting two 2K PCs and playing together. Way more fun that way.

Edit: I missed your last post. OK, if you're never free at the same time, share a 2K PC and keep the rest of the cash.
December 7, 2008 6:56:18 PM

Get the i7 920 just increasing the Vcore a little can get it to 3.6GHz stable. The case is a over kill, get 1 4870x2, 4+ gigs of RAM, get vista premium, use built-in sound.
December 7, 2008 7:13:39 PM

Personally I would say drop the Xi-Fi. Creative support isn't what it use to be so I'm using the Daniel K drivers in Vista for my Audigy 2. If you want a dedicated sound card get an Asus Xonar instead. Of course I'm a bit biased since the whole Daniel K incident and the crippling of Audigy cards in Vista coupled with their previously crappy Xi-Fi Vista drivers. Anyway I think you'll find the onboard sound of the Asus to be just fine. If your an Audiophile though then I think you would be rather pleased with the Xonar. As for the Hard Drive go for the 1TB Cavalier Black instead of the Cavalier Green. You won't regret it ^_^. I also think you should go with 6GB instead of 3. If you drop the sound card you won't have to compromise on the speed, but if you keep the sound card you will get a slightly slower 6GB set of RAM but in the long run the capacity will make up for it.
December 7, 2008 7:34:50 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
1 4870x2 is probably overkill for your current monitor. 2 is just a big waste of money.

The Asus P6T is just as good and $100 cheaper.

Why spend $1029 on a CPU when a $295 one will over clock just as high as the $1029 one can go.

The WD green drive is slow.

1 Raptor is slow for a i7 rig. You need raid 0 raptors or raid 0 SSDs for os and apps.

Sound card is a waste of money.

To spend that amount of money and not get more then 3G of ram doesnt even make sense.

If you buy it both of you are ignorant.

You could both get sweet i7 rigs with 1 4870x2 each and play together.

+1 for the SSDs , GPU, Core i7 920. Seriously you can build a C2D E8400 based rig for $800, and $1200-1300 with water cooling, BluRay,etc.
December 7, 2008 7:35:10 PM

1) The ram should be 6gb, 3x2gb.
2) Use a velociraptor for the os and fast stuff, a larger, slower drive for storage.
3) Defer the sound card, you can always add one later.
4) A single 4870X2 or GTX280-OC should be fine. Two of each might be OK, but you get very little more for your $. Three is just for bragging.
!