Will this HD config slow down my new system?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hello, everyone! With the help of users from this forum, I decided to build the following rig:

Intel q6600
Asus P5QL-E
2x 2GB Crucial 800MHx 4-4-4-12
Geforce 9800GT
1x Raptor 150 GB for the OS
2x WD 1TB in RAID 1 for documents, photos, videos and games, basically everything.
Creative X-Fi
Thermaltake 750W

These were the fastest pieces of hardware I could afford within my budget. The PSU and Sound Card and the Raptor are from my old system.

two questions:

1)Basically, I will have a 1 Raptor and one 7200RPM drive on my pc, combined with some prety cool new hardware. Shouldnt I be getting a Flash drive or building a RAID 5? I need advice, I cant help thinking the HD config is way behind the rest of the hardware.

2)Am I being to paranoid keeping everything on the RAID 1 drive? I believe these new 1TB drives from WD have a close performance to the 150Gb Raptor, however, I would like to have the best performance on the games (I love gaming) and photos. Im a photographer, so I save and load a lot. However, I cant afford to lose my work. Should I partition the Raptor and have the games/photos on this second partition, with Windows backing them up to the RAID 1? I mean, is the performance gain worth the risk?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Well.....this is my personal opinion. But I don't know how far I would trust the WD drives. Seen a couple die, and have not heard the greatest things about them. My personal favorite is seagate, but also maxtor. Those are both great brands for drives. Main thing is keep copies. Should be ok using the raptor for the OS, then using the others for your storage and what not.