DVI vs VGA

G

Ok just a quick question I know DVI is better image quality than VGA but if i have a DVI to VGA adapter will the image quality be the same when I hook my computer to my tv or should i get a DVI to HDMI cable to hook up to get the full picture quality of Blue Ray.

DVI is not better than VGA it's just different. Both have their benefits and limitations.

BUT for BluRay, thanks to HDCP, the way to ensure you get the most out of your BR material is to get and HDCP compliant DVI -> HDMI adapter that does not disrupt the HDCP handshake so you can watch at full res, and not crippled artificially by DRM.

Like ByDesign requested, PROVE IT.

Digital is not much better than analogue on it's own, and with no support yet for the only features that would be better the only major difference is DRM.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
if there is a differance between the two, i dont think its that significant. i mean, i used to use my old VGA 17in flat screen for gaming, but recently i bought a DVI 20in flatscreen. the only differance i can think of is that i dont need a stupid adapter for my video card now :lol:

There's a difference (no D-A converts) but you said it's MUCH better, and more stable, and really that's an oversimplified answer, just like my saying, don't use DVI or HDMI it won't go long distances without terrible singla degredation....

That's true... of poor setups, but that's the same for your statement, which really only applies to poor setups also.

The difference between the two in the hands of people who know what they are doing, or take care and learn, is essentially nil.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Its the same as saying HDMI is better then component cables. Sure its nice, and its DRM compliant but I see no difference. There have been plenty of reviews (cnet.com - I'm too lazy to look it up) saying that there is no difference in quality of the picture.