Unlocking multiplier?

Hi, I'm running an i5 750, MSI P55-GD65 mobo, Patriot Viper II Sector 5 RAM, Sapphire 5850 GPU.

Today, I set my BCLK to 200 for a solid 4ghz, and it seem stable. I kept everything auto except I disabled Turbo Boost. Running a quick Prime95 FFT (honestly don't know what I'm doing or what that does, just heard it's a good test) it was fine, temps peaked at 98C on one core, but it's idling around 40 and running Kombustor for GPU testing (which uses CPU) it wasn't going over 83.

Anyway! The thing I want to ask is how can I unlock the CPU multiplier? It's set to 20 and even tho the number is white in the BIOS, I can't edit it. If I turn on OC Genie it sets it down to 17 so I know it's possible to change, I just can't do it myself. I don't think I need a full 4ghz - maybe 3.6 or 3.8, plus I want to see how a high FSB will affect other performance issues. I've tried to toggle a lot of CPU related options in the BIOS but nothing will let me do it. Any help?

EDIT: I'd like to note that HWMonitor didn't show my Vcore going over 1.38V at this OC.

Yes, I know but that's not the problem at the moment I was just screwing around. Also, the temps didn't climb to that, they just instantaneously jumped so I think it wasn't very accurate, they immediatly fell to 70s as soon as I hit stop on Prime95. I probably don't have it set up right or something since it was a first time ever run, and CPU-Z didn't show proper CPU usage, with the enhanced idle state on it was sitting at 200x9 instead of the actual 200x20 under load. Like I said, when the CPU was actually in 100% usage from Kombustor it didn't go much into the 80s.

EDIT: I guess I should also point out that I'm using a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme CPU cooler

No need to be a dink man I've looked that over. And knowing what the voltages should be doesn't matter if you're unable to edit them so your "help" is completely and utterly useless anyway. It wasn't at all a serious attempt at an OC, in fact I was expecting to blue screen on boot up and when it didn't, I figured I'd run Prime95 for all of 20 seconds to see what would happen.

Besides I figured it all out now with a bit more screwing around in the BIOS. Unlike other numbers, you apparently edit the multiplier with +/-. If I could have done it, I would have reduced to x17 or x18 for an easy 3.4/3.6ghz as I mentioned above. 4ghz was because I didn't know how to change the multiplier, and that in turn clearly was over powering the system and adding heat. How about when someone asks for help, instead of being arrogant, you try to actually give a useful answer or advice.

You can not upwardly unlock the multiplier on any non-extreme edition Intel processors. As you discovered, it is possible to turn the multi down. Just not up.

OK - On your processor, my understanding is that it is possible to change the Base Clock (bclk), and the Memory Multiplier (either 8 or 10)... and that's about it.

A base clock of 200 is a REALLY BIG JUMP from the standard 133. And your memory speeds are also linked to this. Meaning that increasing the base clock also ramps up your memory, not just the processor. This is important because - although you may be able to get 30% out of yoru processor, you should consider yourself lucky to get an additional 5% out of your RAM. Memory is the primary source of instability, and gains very little in terms of actual application performance. So as you adjust your base clock to get to the processor speeds you are looking for, always always make sure your memory is operating within it's tolerances.

It's easy enough to calculate speeds for yoruself:

CPU Speed = Base Clock x CPU Multiplier
Memory Speed = Base Clock x Memory Multiplier

But it's quicker to use a simple app like the ICRONTIC NEHALEM CALCULATOR to do it for you.

My recommendation is to use the higher multi on the processor so you can keep the base clock lower. While working to get your processor up to speed, keep your memory UNDERclocked. Perform a thorough stress test - ensuring temperatures under load are 70c or less. Then once you are sure your Processor is good to go, then you can revisit memory speed if you wish.

Regarding RJR's comments: He's right that your temperatures were way higher than they should be. Under load, processor temps can shoot up VERY FAST when your cooling is inadequate. And it's very possible to burn out your proccy by playing with it. Maybe you didnt' like the delivery. But the message is spot on.

How about when someone asks for help, instead of being arrogant, you try to actually give a useful answer or advice.

It's a 2 way street.

And it's useful to keep in mind that text can't 'soften it's voice' like speakers can. He provided good information, even if he didn't answer your specific question. So from a purely social perspective, it would be better to smile and rephrase your question. If only to avoid an argument and keep the flow of information going so you can more easily solve your issue.

Well, the first time it's all good but quoting himself as a 2nd reply is not cool nor helpful.

Anyway, thanks. I set the bclk to 200 with an x18 for 3.6ghz, and made sure the memory is at the manufacturer's specs of 1600mhz/8-8-8-24/1.65V. Running Prime95 didn't make the temps go crazy this time. However, I did get a couple errors at stock Vcore of 1.1V so I've increased it, at 1.18V or so now but still getting 1 core error but it takes a bit longer to happen. However, I won't be able to finally sit down and do proper testing and experimenting until tonight. I upped the VTT and PLL voltages about .2V each to hopefully make sure they weren't undervolting causing the errors, but it hasn't seemed to help and obviously it's adding a bit more heat. First thing I'm going to try is setting them at auto.

By the way is there a good application to watch voltages? I have HWMonitor but it doesn't really tell you all three (Vcore and VTT and PLL) it only gives Vcore (or maybe it's VTT either way, it's not all 3) and then the voltages on 12V and 24V and other stuff that isn't really helpful to me right now.

I've been using Everest Ultimate to do that. One of the things it has is a desktop gadget you can set to display any number of parameters. I drop that onto my secondary monitor and can check any of my selected params at any time. It's not free, which is a negative for a lot of folks. But it does a LOT more than anything else I've found - including some decent memory and CPU benchmarks and basic stress testing.

http://www.lavalys.com/

DaeM

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
im using everest too here

and must say as far as i can see it is a pretty accurete program too

indeed the problem of it costing 30 bucks is too bad