Sign in with
Your question

I7920 1366 coolers?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2010 7:59:55 PM

Hey people, I finally made the move to go ahead and upgrade to a new i7920 system and I'm looking to have a little fun with it. I currently have an e2160 1.8ghz OC to 3.0ghz on the stock cooler running idle temps close to 33-35c. I'm looking to push the i7-920 to atleast 3.4-3.6ghz with an aftermarket cooler, nothing too crazy.

Now I'm completely new to the aftermarkert cooling game, but I've done a little reading on reviews, but I'm still open for any advice and 2nd opinions.

First off, I picked up a budget friendly EVGA mobo and will also be running 6gb of corsair dominator ram.
Here's a link to the motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do most of my shopping on newegg and it looks like the Coolermaster V8 seems to be pretty popular along with some of the Zalman series and even the seemingly more expensive Noctua series.. I don't really have a budget, but I definately want something that is efficient as far as price/performance.. Maybe something at or around $50-60 or less? Feel free to recommend anything.

Like I said, I don't plan on doing any crazy OC or tweaking with the 920, so I just need something that can get me by safely and effectively.

More about : i7920 1366 coolers

a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 8:11:54 PM

I know you will get a lot of people saying to go for the 212+ for the money. I just don't agree that it is your best option for an i7.

The Prolimatech, NH-D14 or Venomous X would all be good coolers for you system. I think that being on the safe side temperature wise and giving you the opportunity to increase your OC if you desire is worth the couple of extra dollars.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 8:30:26 PM

i thing the hyper plus would be great.. i have one and im running my i3 @ 4.0ghz and 1.3v... i get idle temps of about 30 and at max load i get 58 degrees C...

i did once see an i7 go to 4.0ghz with a hyper 212+ and at load it was around 68 C... i will look for that bench and post it back here
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2010 12:53:55 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, but I'm still a little held back from pulling the trigger and picking up one of these coolers..

I've done a little bit more research and it looks like the Coolermaster 212+ might be near the top as far as price/performance, rounding out close to $33 shipped from Buy.. and the Noctua NH-U12P closer to $65 shipped from Amazon.

From what I can tell, the Noctua is supposed to be the total package.. 2 extremely well reviewed fans, quality heatsink, and etc.. but does the $65 price tag justify itself in comparison to the 212+ for nearly $30 less?

I see that the 212+ is capable of equiping a 2nd fan, any idea what fan is needed to pair itself with the current one?

As far as I can tell, the 2 setups have very similar builds and shape, except the 212 has exposed copper heatpipes while the Noctua has nickle plated pipes imbedded within the shiny smooth contact surface. I don't plan on lapping either one, and the Noctua seemingly doesn't need it anyways.

Like I said, I'm not overly concerned with price.. I want something that will last me and will perform well within my needs.. I only plan on pushing the OC to 3.4-3.6ghz anyways..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 12:27:11 PM

have a look at this:

http://i30.tinypic.com/1zxnrmg.jpg

it compares both coolers u mentioned and btw, in that bench they use a Q6600 which is stock 2.4ghz and they overclocked it to 3.4ghz....

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 2:11:56 PM

The only problem with both of your graphs are that they are using quads. You can disable HT on your i7 to be somewhat comparable, but that kinda says why by the i7 then. The temps produced by the i7 are substantially more than the X6800/Q6600.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 2:43:33 PM

yea i know.. its just a guide line.. but in one of my previous posts it shows an i7 at 3.4ghz and that's where zeruin wants to be
m
l
April 23, 2010 5:20:56 PM

meh.. I went ahead and went with my original plans and picked up the Noctua NH-U12P.. for $65 I'm getting a complete dual fan cooler.. picked up from Amazon with free 2day shipping.. should be here first thing Monday..

I might have paid a little more for going this route, but for only $65 and the reliability of safely increasing my 920 speed anywhere near 3.5ghz sounds like a heck of a deal. Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

I'll post some temps/pics when I finally get this thing all hooked up and installed.. prolly gonna be close to Wednesday/Thursday before all of the components get here, but if any of you are interested, keep a lookout for my upcoming post.

Here's my recent build purchase. Just gotta cross my fingers and hope everything works/fits right outta the box. i7-920, 5870 vapor-x, 6gb corsair dominator, corsair 750w tx, evga x58 le , noctua nh-u12p, coolermaster haf 922, and etc..
m
l
April 24, 2010 8:56:53 PM

I don't think a u12p can get you to 4ghz but it sure will be quiet ;D
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 9:29:23 PM

yea but he only wants 3.4 to 3.6ghz so its cool
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 9:38:24 PM

zeruin said:
Hey people, I finally made the move to go ahead and upgrade to a new i7920 system and I'm looking to have a little fun with it. I currently have an e2160 1.8ghz OC to 3.0ghz on the stock cooler running idle temps close to 33-35c. I'm looking to push the i7-920 to atleast 3.4-3.6ghz with an aftermarket cooler, nothing too crazy.

Now I'm completely new to the aftermarkert cooling game, but I've done a little reading on reviews, but I'm still open for any advice and 2nd opinions.

First off, I picked up a budget friendly EVGA mobo and will also be running 6gb of corsair dominator ram.
Here's a link to the motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do most of my shopping on newegg and it looks like the Coolermaster V8 seems to be pretty popular along with some of the Zalman series and even the seemingly more expensive Noctua series.. I don't really have a budget, but I definately want something that is efficient as far as price/performance.. Maybe something at or around $50-60 or less? Feel free to recommend anything.

Like I said, I don't plan on doing any crazy OC or tweaking with the 920, so I just need something that can get me by safely and effectively.

If you want a lot of performance for the money, get the FORT120 from Newegg. It's the reference cooler I use for motherboard testing.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 11:58:40 PM

It may just be me, but just that name "Rosewill" makes me cringe.

I'm sure they sell them elsewhere but Newegg has discontinued selling the FORT120.

Just FYI.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 12:18:46 AM

RJR said:
It may just be me, but just that name "Rosewill" makes me cringe.

I'm sure they sell them elsewhere but Newegg has discontinued selling the FORT120.

Just FYI.

I'm sure nobody else sells them, Rosewill is a Newegg brand. I'm pretty sure these are manufactured by the same company that produced Sunbeam coolers since I've examined these side-by-side, but the Rosewill cooler has larger fins and a faster fan.
m
l
April 26, 2010 5:31:31 AM

I just upgraded to an ASrock x58 extreme, i7 975, 12 gig memory (2G x 6 sticks)). Was initially using a Cooler Master Hyper N 520. While the Hyper N did good on a 775 platform, it could not keep up with the i7 with HT enabled on even mild overclocks.

Went with a Prolimatech Megahalems (B revision with 1366 support and 2 sets of fan brackets) I got from Ebay user/dealer jimmyscw for $63.98 Buy it Now price that included free USPS shipping. I only state where I got it because it was the cheapest (with tracked shipping) I could find for BNIB and he has several more apparently if anyone is interested. Got it in 3 days from Califonia to Idaho. This cooler also comes with a big syringe (enough for many applications) of PK-1 Thermal compound which appears to rate excellently compared to other TIM brands thus saving another $9-10 for TIM costs.

Unfortunately I never found my max OC with this setup because the MB (at least it better be the MB :-), took a poop on me on a 4.1Ghz @ 1.36vcore stability test. Yeah it was a cheap motherboard, but ya gotta start somewhere... MB wont power on now. I assume CPU is OK (at least I hope so :-)!

PC just powered off and no amount of swapping stuff will even show a light on the MB besides the briefest 1/10th second flash of the on-board LEDs (nothing else will power on either as long as PSU plugged into MB). This with a known-good Coolermaster 1100 watt Ultimate PSU and another known-good 750 watt PSU (both of which provide far more power than I need since I am only running one 4870 vid card). As even if I hard-jumpered the PSU to turn on, it would shut down when connected to MB, I figure It has a short somewhere on the MB. Probably either had a faulty MB or more likely burned out the voltage regulator. As this particular motherboard has shown to be capable to be run faster and at more watttage than I put through it in my limited testing, I figure I just got unlucky.

I did get through a "lot" of stability tests at lower OC's and voltages though; up to around 3.7Ghz-3.9Ghz. The Hyper N cooler just told me to DIAF at anything above stock speeds, even with all the options like HT off. The Prolimatech was GREAT at the higher OC's. It was hovering around 80C (both Core Temp and Real Temp) on my 4Ghz Prime95/Intelburn tests before the MB gave up the ghost. This 80C was also with HT on, 4Ghz base OC, and turbo on (all 4 processors x 1 extra multiplier) so it was actually running at 4.1 Ghz during the load tests. With HT off, it ran much cooler (like 5-10C in all tests.

Funny thing is that at low stock speeds, the Hyper N 520 reportedly ran slightly cooler than the Prolimatech. It was only when the CPU went under high loadings that it couldn't keep up and the Prolimatech really showed it's stuff.

So to get on with my point, yes I waffled on the expense of the new big-ass highly-rated CPU cooler, but you shouldn't, even if you are planning on mild OC'ing. Just not worth the hassle of wondering what your system can actually do if you had only spent the extra $25 bucks (relative to the $40-50 dollar shipped price range for anything semi-decent for an "socket 1366"). Heck, I NEVER actually run my system at real high OC's I just like to know where my system maxes so I can easily drop 20% and feel good about it. While you may not "plan" on doing any high OC'ing, the $25 dollar price diff is way worth it just to give playing-room for different configurations

I don't think there is another PC part where $25 (the rough difference between medium-rated air-coolers and high-end air-coolers) can make such a difference in any level of "air-cooled" OC'ing. For example you could spend more on faster/better memory to get slight overall performance improvements, but since you generally get memory in pairs or triples, it ends up more than $25, even if the price diff per stick of faster/better ram is less.

And FYI: I now have the big-ass Prolimatech on my lowly backup duo-core e7500 OC'd to 4.1Ghz on a P35 MSI MB while I am in the process of getting a replacement MB for the i7. Figure I might as well use it. Funny thing is that with the forced duo-core retrograde. Everything I "actually" do (like regular office work and WoW gaming, and not benchmarks) runs just fine on this duo-core. I don't really do anything that requires the computational power of the i7. It's just fun to play with (until something breaks that is :-)!
m
l
April 26, 2010 2:33:50 PM

The i7 actually overclocks pretty easy as it runs cool. Even with the stock cooler you should get pretty close to where you want to be. I have an i7 with a thermalright ultra plus with a silverstone 110CFM fan. I'll tell you most any high end cooler will do you just fine. Upgrading the stock fan which normally comes with a 60-80CFM fan will give you a lot more headroom. you'd be amazed what just switching the fan on the cooler will do. Most benchmarks are done with stock fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You aren't overclocking that high, and i'm not sure what you are using it for, video editing or gaming, but i'm only running @ 3.2ghz right now, and it's good enough to play any game out there. Even GtaIV runs like a champ, which is the most cpu dependent game I think there is.

So- any decent cooler, upgrade the fan, then your good to go.
m
l
April 26, 2010 3:39:30 PM

ubernoobie said:
I don't think a u12p can get you to 4ghz but it sure will be quiet ;D

Oh trust me it will, I got my 920 @ 3,6 and my idle temp is 34C with the push/pull fans at 1300rpm, it is not quiet at all (imo, and I like silent rigs)
I actually removed one fan (the pull fan), and set the other at 1000 rpm and my idle temp is still 36C.
My case got very good airflow.

dreamphantom_1977 said:
The i7 actually overclocks pretty easy as it runs cool. Even with the stock cooler you should get pretty close to where you want to be. I have an i7 with a thermalright ultra plus with a silverstone 110CFM fan. I'll tell you most any high end cooler will do you just fine. Upgrading the stock fan which normally comes with a 60-80CFM fan will give you a lot more headroom. you'd be amazed what just switching the fan on the cooler will do. Most benchmarks are done with stock fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You aren't overclocking that high, and i'm not sure what you are using it for, video editing or gaming, but i'm only running @ 3.2ghz right now, and it's good enough to play any game out there. Even GtaIV runs like a champ, which is the most cpu dependent game I think there is.

So- any decent cooler, upgrade the fan, then your good to go.

I have to agree here, just buy a well known cooler and use thermal paste ^^ (arctic silver5 or Noctua nt-h1 worked well for me)
As I recall the u12p included a tube of noctua nt-h1 thermal paste.
Very good cooler, but with push/pull @ 1300 rpm it is not silent imo. You dont even need 2 fans, one fan is enough and you will not see much thermal difference, but in dB you will hear a huge difference.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 5:28:15 PM

Idle temps mean nothing, load temps are the main concern.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 7:16:31 PM

RJR said:
Idle temps mean nothing, load temps are the main concern.
Most of these guys don't even know how to check the temperature and they don't care that they put forth unrealistic numbers. They get offended whenever they see a real temperature. Like, one taken directly from the core with RealTemp while eight threads of Prime95 are running. I see BS "max load" temps all the time and realize the guy putting them up isn't lying, he just doesn't know any better.
m
l
April 28, 2010 4:19:02 PM

Crashman said:
Most of these guys don't even know how to check the temperature and they don't care that they put forth unrealistic numbers. They get offended whenever they see a real temperature. Like, one taken directly from the core with RealTemp while eight threads of Prime95 are running. I see BS "max load" temps all the time and realize the guy putting them up isn't lying, he just doesn't know any better.

No need to be offensive (yes, I consider that offensive), I was getting my temps from PC probe II (downloaded from asus)I can see temps on my mobo/cpu there, I dont know if RealTemp will show me different values.
For my graphic cards i just use GPUZ/Evga precision (as I got evga card atm).

I may not know as much as you about clocks and temps (or pc in general), but I was trying to help, based on MY experience with this particular cpu cooler.
I've been using this cooler for over 1 year, and i've been mainly gaming, so I am not stressing my cpu like during Prime95, that is why I posted my idle temps, because when I am gaming my cpu temp do not increase much (according to PC probe II that is), only my gpu's are increasing alot, but that is expected (75-80~ for the card with bad airflow, 285sli)
What I am trying to say is that during normal gaming I dont have any temp problems with this particular cooler.

and dont worry, I wont try to help next time.
m
l
April 28, 2010 4:57:22 PM

I can not edit my message...
Just downloaded Prime95, i let the torture feature run for about 15min~ with 1 Fan @ 1000rpm on the u12p.
Not even 4 hours of gaming in a hot room will get me anywhere close to these temps, so for my use this is not realistic tempratures.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2010 5:01:17 PM

Realtemp will show different values because it reads from the DT sensors on the cores, not the diode between the cores that PCProbe reads from as far as I know .
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2010 8:03:43 PM

Yes, Realtemp or Coretemp for monitoring your core temperatures. There isn't a sensor that can give you an accurate CPU temperature so you have to use the core temps.
m
l
!