Sign in with
Your question

Frustration with new system build

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2008 7:33:19 PM

Well I put together a nice new system on Black Friday from NewEgg, but I tried to get it setup today and was met with some serious frustration. Here's the rundown:

Antec Nine Hundred Case
Antec EA380 Power Supply
EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR 9500GT 1G RAM Video Card
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R P45 775 Motherboard
INTEL C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M Processor
SAMSUNG SH-S223F DVD Burner
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS Velociraptor HD
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

I got everything installed and the system would not POST. To make a long story short, I unplugged all of the drives and every single cable from the mobo with the exception of the one that went to the front-panel power switch and still no dice.

The power supply seemed to be working fine. When I hit the power switch on the Antec case, the system would power up, but just not post. I also could not use the power button to turn it back off, or use the reset button to reset it. Both were unresponsive.

Another interesting thing is that when I plugged the CPU fan cord into the fan header on the mobo which has a lead for speed control, the fan would not turn, but if I plugged it into one of the other (non-CPU) fan headers on the mobo it would spin just fine.

I made sure that the memory was in the correct slots and I also tried swapping with a different video card. Unfortunately I don't have another LGA775 processor handy to test with.

My guess is that the mobo is bad, but I wanted to check in with folks here before I went ahead and RMA'ed it. I'd hate to get a new mobo and still be in the same boat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jonathan
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2008 7:44:58 PM

Did you connect the 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power to the motherboard? I'm asking because the CPU fan doesn't spin when connected to the motherboard.
December 7, 2008 7:53:57 PM

GhislainG said:
Did you connect the 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power to the motherboard? I'm asking because the CPU fan doesn't spin when connected to the motherboard.

I'm using the stock Intel cooler. It has a 4-pin power cord and connector that comes off of it. I connected this to the CPU fan header on the GA-EP45-UD3R. Is this what you meant?
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2008 7:57:21 PM

+1^

Also, I think the 4 pin cpu fan header should have a fan plugged into it, even if you only have a 3 pin fan.

Try using only one ram stick. One could be bad.
December 7, 2008 8:04:13 PM

kemmatech said:
I'm using the stock Intel cooler. It has a 4-pin power cord and connector that comes off of it. I connected this to the CPU fan header on the GA-EP45-UD3R. Is this what you meant?

No, he meant that the psu will have a 8 pin power lead which must also be plugged into the mobo. The socket is white, and is located in the corner near the rear panel.
The 4 pin fan header on an intel stock cooler is a PWM(pulse width modulation) header and must be plugged into the 4 pin cpu header on the edge of the board.
December 7, 2008 8:10:25 PM

geofelt said:
No, he meant that the psu will have a 8 pin power lead which must also be plugged into the mobo. The socket is white, and is located in the corner near the rear panel.
The 4 pin fan header on an intel stock cooler is a PWM(pulse width modulation) header and must be plugged into the 4 pin cpu header on the edge of the board.

Yes, I do see the 8-pin connector on the mobo, but these are the only connectors that my power supply provides:

http://www.antec.com/connectors.php?ProdID=27380&SetZon...

Did I just not get the correct power supply for this mobo?

Thanks,

Jonathan
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2008 8:38:10 PM

Connect the 4-pin 12V to the motherboard. Check in the manual where to connect it if you're unsure.
December 7, 2008 8:45:25 PM

When in doubt, reread the motherboard manual. The 8 pin socket is compatible with the 4 pin psu power connector. The 8 pins are needed for high powered extreme cpu's. There should have been a cover on 4 of the pins. Plug your 4 pin psu cable in to the open half of the 8 pin receptacle. It should fit only one way. It is no doubt the reason you can't post.
December 7, 2008 8:55:33 PM

Why do 1000s of people fail to read the manuals? I just dont understand it.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2008 1:58:19 AM

First, rtfm. That's longtime techspeak for "read the freakin' manual".

Assuming that both power cables (the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin) are plugged in, the minimum configuration that you need to POST is the PSU, CPU and HSF, motherboard, a system speaker (which the Antec 900 does not have), and a way to turn on the PSU.

If this is working, you should hear a series of long single beeps indicating a memory failure. This means that the system completed a failed POST. If you do not hear anything, that mmeans that, in order of likelyhood, the PSU, motherboard, or CPU is bad.

You need a system speaker.

Me neither, roadrunner.
!