Your question

"Disk read error" Windows 7, SATA

Last response: in Storage
May 21, 2010 1:09:56 AM

First, need-to-know specs:

Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Motherboard
Seagate Baracuda 500GB SATA HDD
Intel Core 2 Quad @2.83 GHz

I had Windows 7 x64 running on the partitioned SATA HDD. I stepped out of the room for a few minutes, and when I returned, I noticed that my PC was shut down (which is weird, because I always leave it on). I thought maybe Windows had updates, but when it tried to reboot, I received the "Disk read error occurred, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot" message after post. I rebooted and received the same message.

I then tried to boot to the Windows 7 DVD to run the startup diagnostic test, but it told me that the issue was too complex for it to be fixed automatically. I then went back and tried to do a System Restore, but my hard disk wasn't even detected by the Windows 7 setup DVD.

I rebooted again and checked the BIOS settings, which revealed that the HDD was present (Channel 0, Master). I booted from the Windows 7 DVD again and this time instead went to the installation steps. Again, the hard drive was not detected.

I checked inside the case to make sure the cables were connected. Nothing.
I changed SATA cables. Nothing.
I used a Windows XP CD to boot from and manually formatted drive C. Nothing.

Does anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: I tried plugging the power into a different power strip, I tried fixboot, fixmbr, chkdsk, all to no avail.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
May 21, 2010 2:30:52 AM

It would appear that your hard drive has just died; I hope that you did not have any important data on it. Another unlikely possibility is that the SATA controller on your motherboard has failed.
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:26:20 AM

I tried the hard drive on another computer with the same exact specs, and that PC detected the drive once, and then no more after.

That sucks, that drive was only several months old. Nothing too important on it, I have a back-up. I just hate having to reinstall everything.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2010 4:40:24 AM

Get over it, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER... especially hard drives... Buy Acronis and you won't have the same reinstall problem EVER again...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
May 21, 2010 8:38:13 AM

You can RMA the hard drive to replace it. In my experience hard drives often fail because they get to hot. Check the air flow in your case over the hard drive; consider getting a hard drive cooler to fit in your case.
m
l
July 30, 2010 11:12:29 PM

I had the same problem as asianette - recently acquired computer - Windows 7 and and was one day last week unable to boot always getting the disc reader error message. I changed the BIOS setting to boot from the windows installation disk and set about trying to repair / reinstall. Was getting no where and was about to give up. I removed the installation disc and shut down. Then tried one more time to start and it booted up perfectly with all the settings etc. in place. I scanned and tried a few more resarts with no problems.

That was last night - this morning I turned it on and back to the error message.

Any suggestions?
m
l
January 2, 2011 10:10:41 AM

im not so going with computers but i have to problem.. windows 7 newly in stalled on a old harddrive. when in take out my ram in put it back the problem disappears(its starts up like normal) but after a few days it returns for no apparent reason.
m
l
!