What do I need to overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 8:27:33 PM

AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz
Asus M4A78T-E
4gb DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 Crucial memory

These are what I have bought. Now I didn't know that the AMD 945 only supports up to 1333MHz ram as standard.

How do I unlock the full 1600Mhz that the RAM and motherboard are capable of?

(Am a real beginner at overclocking so the more detailed the information the better! And yes I have been reading many different articles but have only succeeded in making my head hurt!)

More about : overclock

a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 11:58:44 PM

Quote:
AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz
Asus M4A78T-E
4gb DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 Crucial memory

These are what I have bought. Now I didn't know that the AMD 945 only supports up to 1333MHz ram as standard.

How do I unlock the full 1600Mhz that the RAM and motherboard are capable of?

(Am a real beginner at overclocking so the more detailed the information the better! And yes I have been reading many different articles but have only succeeded in making my head hurt!)

Well, really, you don't go out and buy 1600mhz RAM because you want to overclock your RAM. In the first place, just clocking your RAM from 1333 to 1600mhz won't do a thing you will notice. Not a thing. RAM is not a speed bottleneck in a modern system running DDR3 RAM. Simply overclocking a non-bottleneck part of your system won't net you any real gains that you will actually notice or see.
What you buy 1600mhz rated ram for is overclocking your processor. The faster rated RAM helps minimize the problems of clocking your RAM past it rated stable specification when you start raising the FSB speed. That is the main reason for getting 1600mhz memory.
Have fun, do everything in small steps with lots of testing in between, monitor your temps carefully.
Related resources
!