Sign in with
Your question
Solved

When to OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2010 11:01:48 PM

I'm building a new high end system. It will have an i7-930, Corsair DDR1333 (C7) RAM, Gigabyte X58-UD5 board, several HDD's (RAID 0 and RAID 5) and Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I want to OC it but I have a bunch to learn before I do that since I've never done it before. Several good articles out there that cover the topic quite well along with tons of info in here. But I need to get this system up and running pretty soon so I can be sure things are working well before my 30 day return runs out on the various parts. I'm nervous about OCing this right off the bat. My question is can I get all this up and running including installing various software packages that I use regularly and then sometime in the next month or 2 OC it without having to reinstall software? My guess is yes, but I just want to be sure. I'd hate to install everything and find out I should have OC'd it first! :) 

Thanks,

A.

More about : question

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 11:29:44 PM

avianrand said:
My question is can I get all this up and running including installing various software packages that I use regularly and then sometime in the next month or 2 OC it without having to reinstall software? My guess is yes, but I just want to be sure. .

You guessed correctly, me, I start overclocking as soon as Windows is finished installing updates.
April 22, 2010 11:59:35 PM

I started playing with my OC's a month after I built my system. Bordem I guess but my wife finds it weird that I can read threads after threads about OCing yet I can't read one page of a book without falling asleep. :) 
Related resources
May 9, 2010 3:52:32 AM

Best answer selected by avianrand.
May 9, 2010 4:06:17 AM

The best answer is a horrible answer.

Build the system, install Win7, then loop 3Dmark and Prime95 for about 48 hours to make sure your stability is absolutely perfect before you go in jacking up the base clock and tweaking memory timings.

That way you won't be running back to the forums in a few days clueless about whether the OC killed something, is causing instability, or if you just had a bad component from the start.
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2010 5:01:02 AM

spoofedpacket said:
The best answer is a horrible answer.

Really ?
Did you actually read the question ?
The OP wants to overclock a month or 2 after his machine is built and loaded, and guessed that that would be OK, he did guess correctly.
I didn't tell him to go overclock immediately, I stated that it's what I do.
!