Quick Reference/Tip On Fan Placement?

aLiskov

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hi guys, I just wanted to ask you really quick how you think I should place the following fans.

I have a case with 5 fan slots(pre set. I can always make some more myself, but I try not to.)

It originally came with 1 installed in the front(intake) for the hard drives. 1 in the rear(exhaust) and 1 on the side(intake) for my video cards. I have Liquid Cooling so I'm not all that concerned about the CPU. My memory however has nothing to work on it. I have 2 more spots(pre-set) and I also have the fans. The two spots are right on the top, back end. One hovers over my memory and the other over cpu/motherboard but not particularly. Summer is about to come and my room gets really hot. I know that I need to have a positive output of all my fans, but it needs to be only a slight one. Which would mean that 1 of the fans(that i'm going to install) needs to be an intake and the other an exhaust. What do you guys think ? I know my memory needs something, and I know that it's preferred that it has an intake close to it, but that would mean that I would have to put another exhaust right next to it. It just sounds a little weird to me. Please help.

Link

This is my case. So please take a look and help me decide.

Thank you.

Well, I'd be more concerned with your NB chipset, if you have something like a 790FX or X58 board. As for the fan positions, you only have two slots left, and both are at the top, and both fans should be pushing air upwards, but, you seem concerned about negative air pressure. I'd probably have both fans pushing air into the case, and possibly turning the side intake fan the other way and make it an outtake fan.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
you should take a college level english comp class...your post was extremely hard to understand but ill try my best.

first off, you shouldve gotten a bigger case instead of buying 5 fans and cramming it all into a mid tower. you dont NEED 5 fans...just get yourself 2-3 high quality fans and im pretty sure it'll cool your case just fine. upgrade the intake to something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103063

fairly high airflow with low noise. one for the intake, one for exhaust, and possibly one for the side. if you have more room then hell just put the extra fans randomly. im 100% sure that you arent going to see much difference adding that many fans into your case. at some point you are going to reach the point of diminishing returns where...no matter how many fans you add its not gonna effect your cooling.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

hmmm...didnt notice that. good place to put a radiator =D

Consider this....if you have 3 fans pushing in and 2 pulling out, then reverse one, your case airflow will be exactly the same. The laws of physics dictate that the case pressure inside you case is exactly the same as outside ....The intake friction losses must always be the same as the exhaust friction losses.....it's like gravity ....believe it, live it, obey it ..... it's a law.

If you have more "rated" air blowing in than air blowing out, what will happens is the exhaust fan output will be boosted above rated airflow because of the extra "push" they get from the extra intake fans. The intake fans will correspondingly be slowed by the back pressure from the smaller amount of exhaust fans which are working over time. Air will also choose the path of least resistance and will enter / exit through any grilles or openings that are avaialble so as to result in a perfgectly matched air pressure inside and outside the case.

The ONLY issue with regard to what is perceived as positive / negative case pressure which is almost always misconstrued is this:

With more oomph pushing in than being pulled out, the case pressure will equalize by pushing air out thru grilles and other openings. With more pulling out than pushing in air will get sucked in so as to maintain the perfect balance or equal outside and inside case pressure. Pushed out is the desired goal everyone is searching for but if you don't have filters behind ya case fans, it really doesn't matter which way the air thru the grilles / openings is going.....you're gonna be pullin plenty of dust thru your case fans.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Dude, why not just get a memory cooler? A fan directly on your memory will keep your memory cooler than adding extra case fans.

OCZ_XTC_2.png