[HARD DISKS]New WD750GB BLACK not recongize full size

vyan28

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hello guys

i'll make it short and simple

problem: i have just recently built a new machine. i was toying around installing a hackingtosh setup and upon mulitple restarts and poweroffs and ons, my WD750 gb is not a fully 750 size anymore. I know that its not suppose to be at full capacity, but when i decided to abandon the hackintosh project and installing windows 7 installed, during setup it only recongized 699 gb something. so i lost a full 50 gb!

i tried using acronis and other programs, but the first program said there was an error or some sort. i couldnt reformat it. I went back to using the hackingtosh installation, using the disk utility to reformat it to a FAT32 to see if i can set it straight.

but still doesnt work. should i return it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Microsoft's version of "GB" is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes. This is approximately 7.3% larger that the definition used by the disk makers, who say it is 1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes. 7.3% of 750 GB is 55 Gb, so your 750 GB unit is counted by M$ as about 695 of their version of "GB". But you have NOT lost ANY space at all! They are just not using the same "ruler" as the disk makers.