Subdirectories in Downloads?

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2005 6:27:53 AM

After downloading lots of objects, hacks and whatsnot, my game was
quite damaged - could not use the cheat for inviting more Sims to a
party, could not make people friends no matter what cheat and hack I
used, beds were starting to change color...So I decided to wipe it all
away and re-installed with fresh neighboroods and all.

Now everything works perfectly and I am slowly starting to install
custom objects and cheats. Just one by one, so that if something starts
going wrong, I know what was the cause, and so on. But - in case I have
to remove an obiect or whatever from the download directory - finding
them is soooo boring. I was wondering, could I put them in
subdirectories like we did in Sim 1?

And as to the packaged things - those who must be clicked on and then
sort of autoinstall themselves - where do they go? how can I remove
them in case the game turns bad?

Thanks a lot!
Smeraldina
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:46:55 PM

"Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Now everything works perfectly and I am slowly starting to install
> custom objects and cheats. Just one by one, so that if something starts
> going wrong, I know what was the cause, and so on. But - in case I have
> to remove an obiect or whatever from the download directory - finding
> them is soooo boring. I was wondering, could I put them in
> subdirectories like we did in Sim 1?

So far as I know you can't do this.

> And as to the packaged things - those who must be clicked on and then
> sort of autoinstall themselves - where do they go? how can I remove
> them in case the game turns bad?

The clean package installer from http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php
will let you look inside an autoinstall package and pick only the bits you
want before installing it.

HTH
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:46:56 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:46:55 GMT, "Gryfallon"
<doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote:

>"Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Now everything works perfectly and I am slowly starting to install
>> custom objects and cheats. Just one by one, so that if something starts
>> going wrong, I know what was the cause, and so on. But - in case I have
>> to remove an obiect or whatever from the download directory - finding
>> them is soooo boring. I was wondering, could I put them in
>> subdirectories like we did in Sim 1?
>
>So far as I know you can't do this.

You can have subfolders for wall, floors, terrains, and objects, and
they can have subfolders. All clothing, hair, makeup, etc. must be in
the main Downloads folder.

>> And as to the packaged things - those who must be clicked on and then
>> sort of autoinstall themselves - where do they go? how can I remove
>> them in case the game turns bad?
>
>The clean package installer from http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php
>will let you look inside an autoinstall package and pick only the bits you
>want before installing it.

And if you have subfolders in Downloads, it lets you choose which
subfolder to put things in.

BW
Related resources
January 22, 2005 4:02:48 PM

Well I have subdirectories objects/floors/walls and hacks.
So far everything works fine
I know the objects subfolder works because otherwise no custom objects would
appear in my game! :)
The hacks too, I know they work

As for floors and walls...I'm afraid I have too many..
most install themselves via the custom install thingamob...
but the ones who do I shove them in sub dir anyways
I think they show up...
but I have sooo many :/

--
- D

"Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
> "Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Now everything works perfectly and I am slowly starting to install
>> custom objects and cheats. Just one by one, so that if something starts
>> going wrong, I know what was the cause, and so on. But - in case I have
>> to remove an obiect or whatever from the download directory - finding
>> them is soooo boring. I was wondering, could I put them in
>> subdirectories like we did in Sim 1?
>
> So far as I know you can't do this.
>
>> And as to the packaged things - those who must be clicked on and then
>> sort of autoinstall themselves - where do they go? how can I remove
>> them in case the game turns bad?
>
> The clean package installer from
> http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php will let you look inside an
> autoinstall package and pick only the bits you want before installing it.
>
> HTH

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:43:52 PM

THANKS to everybody! my compulsive, categorizing heart is at peace
now!!
I will be waiting for the answer to Gryfallon's question...could one
change name to objects? this would be great too.
Smeraldina
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:18:06 PM

<barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message

> You can have subfolders for wall, floors, terrains, and objects, and
> they can have subfolders. All clothing, hair, makeup, etc. must be in
> the main Downloads folder.

I stand corrected. I have hardly any downloads anyway, and I also assumed
that if the feature to use subfolders were available then Maxis would use it
for their objects. ;-)
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:18:07 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:18:06 GMT, "Gryfallon"
<doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote:

><barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
>
>> You can have subfolders for wall, floors, terrains, and objects, and
>> they can have subfolders. All clothing, hair, makeup, etc. must be in
>> the main Downloads folder.
>
>I stand corrected. I have hardly any downloads anyway, and I also assumed
>that if the feature to use subfolders were available then Maxis would use it
>for their objects. ;-)

I didn't dare try subfolders until other people reported success, and
then I started cautiously and tested to make sure they worked. I
anticipate having ridiculous numbers of downloads, just like in Sims
1, so I'm glad there's at least some sorting possibilities. It still
irks me that there's no subfolders for skins/clothes in either game.

BW
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:29:06 PM

> I didn't dare try subfolders until other people reported success, and
> then I started cautiously and tested to make sure they worked. I
> anticipate having ridiculous numbers of downloads, just like in Sims
> 1, so I'm glad there's at least some sorting possibilities. It still
> irks me that there's no subfolders for skins/clothes in either game.

Anyone know if the long numeric filenames in the Downloads folder are
significant or not? Can I for example rename
'95abb5d160cfd12c6ae38da7da5b0d6a.package' as 'Alienware PC.package' and
still expect it to work? Friendly names would make keeping track of
downloads a lot easier!
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:57:01 AM

This is a general response to this thread.

OK - you can have sub-folders for:

Objects
Hacks
Walls
Floors

but not for skins and skin-related stuff (like hair and eyes) - although
some people have reported success with subfolders for eyes, hair and
make-up. I think it depends on your set up.

You can rename files as long as you don't change the extension (i.e. the
package bit). The problem is identifying which file is which. You can
often tell if you just download a package file which you copy straight into
your Downloads folder - often the creator has renamed the file or it gets
called something you can recognise in Bodyshop or Homecrafter. But you
can't tell if you have to use the self-installer programme to install the
files because it gives them some stupid code name instead of something
sensible. If you have to use the self-installer, I'd suggest you go hunting
for the file straight after it's installed and rename it - fiddly. You can
find recent files fairly easily though by sorting your Downloads folder into
date order - the most recently installed files should appear at the top or
bottom of the folder depending which way you sort them

It's useful to know what happens with the self-installer files.

When the self-installer runs, first of all it puts two files in your
Teleport folder - one is a temp file and the other is a sort of
pre-installation version of the file you are installing. To complete the
installation you need to run the game, Bodyshop or Homecrafter (any one of
these). The installation process will then complete and the new file will
be transferred to Downloads - that's why you don't see the files there
straight away after you run the self-installer programme.

Maxis made objects from the Exchange seem to be going somewhere else -
someone suggested to me that it might be into the big (I mean BIGGGGGGG)
package files that contain the original Maxis objects that came with the
game. I don't know this for sure but it seems logical. What is certain is
that Maxis objects don't appear in the Downloads folder.

There are some useful features of the game to remember which can help with
file management.

1. If you install floors or walls with the self-installer and they get those
stupid code names, you can rename them with Homecrafter. What you have to
do is find them in Homecrafter and use the edit function and then save them.
You don't actually have to change anything in the edit bit though I often
change the price to fit in with my notions of sim economics but you must
save them. You will get a warning that this will mean the original file
will be overwritten. That's fine - in the rewriting process, the file gets
renamed and gets a prefix of wall or floor. The name looks something like
this:

wall_9e6sfde3.Package

Which clearly makes them much easier to find and shove in a sub-directory.
Homecrafter will save the overwritten file into the Downloads folder.

2. You can do something similar with skins in Bodyshop but the process is a
bit more cumbersome as you will need to delete duplicated files (Bodyshop
doesn't overwrite but duplicates files). Bodyshop saves into the Saved Sims
folder.

3. However, the in-game delete function is very useful at getting rid of
unwanted files.

4. You can put all your skin files in your Saved Sims folder. I would only
advise doing this if you don't create your own skins or sims for others to
download - that's where Bodyshop puts your own skin creations. If you don't
create for others, it won't be used and this can be a useful place to store
skin files away from everything else.

5. Hacks I can't help you with but the management programmes from Mod the
Sims are very good at dealing with those if you want to get rid of them or
prevent them in the first place.

6. Objects are perhaps the hardest to deal with as we have no object browser
(yet). This is going to sound terribly pompous, but anyway ... I always
check that I can see newly downloaded objects in the game. I do it by
removing the contents of my Objects folder (putting them somewhere safe) and
then putting the new objects into the folder. I fire up the game, check
they're there (deleting anything I really don't like) and then come out
again before I put the old objects back into the Objects folder. It might
be over-disciplined but it means I can spot any problem files quickly.

Oh finally, when using the self-installer there is often a limit on how many
things you can install at any one time - again I think it depends on your
individual computer set up (probably memory) so I'd advise installing in
batches of about 20. Personally I install things by type as well - walls or
floors or skins - so that I only have to fire up one of the programmes
(Homecrafter, Bodyshop or the game) to check everything's ok.

Hope this helps
I can feel another FAQ coming on
Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:57:02 AM

Wow, thanks Maxon! This helped me a lot!!!

...........B

Maxon wrote:

> [...]

then putting the new objects into the folder. I fire up the game, check
they're there (deleting anything I really don't like) and then come out
again before I put the old objects back into the Objects folder. It
might
be over-disciplined but it means I can spot any problem files quickly.

Oh finally, when using the self-installer there is often a limit on how
many
things you can install at any one time - again I think it depends on
your
individual computer set up (probably memory) so I'd advise installing in
batches of about 20. Personally I install things by type as well -
walls or
floors or skins - so that I only have to fire up one of the programmes
(Homecrafter, Bodyshop or the game) to check everything's ok.

January 23, 2005 4:30:58 AM

Objects CANNOT be renamed. If they are renamed, they will appear as
blue boxes in the game. The object's name is part of the code of the
object.

"Maxon" <jen.magson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
and
> then putting the new objects into the folder. I fire up the game, check
> they're there (deleting anything I really don't like) and then come out
> again before I put the old objects back into the Objects folder. It might
> be over-disciplined but it means I can spot any problem files quickly.
>
> Oh finally, when using the self-installer there is often a limit on how
many
> things you can install at any one time - again I think it depends on your
> individual computer set up (probably memory) so I'd advise installing in
> batches of about 20. Personally I install things by type as well - walls
or
> floors or skins - so that I only have to fire up one of the programmes
> (Homecrafter, Bodyshop or the game) to check everything's ok.

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:32:19 AM

> THANKS to everybody! my compulsive, categorizing heart is at peace
> now!!
> I will be waiting for the answer to Gryfallon's question...could one
> change name to objects? this would be great too.
> Smeraldina

Do not rename objects, it makes them unusable. Hopefully someday, they will
come up with a way to do that. Hopefully, some creators will realize that
too and name their objects so that they are recognizable.
I try to anyway :)

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:37:42 PM

> "Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> THANKS to everybody! my compulsive, categorizing heart is at peace
>> now!!
>> I will be waiting for the answer to Gryfallon's question...could one
>> change name to objects? this would be great too.
>> Smeraldina
>
> Do not rename objects, it makes them unusable. Hopefully someday, they
> will
> come up with a way to do that. Hopefully, some creators will realize that
> too and name their objects so that they are recognizable.
> I try to anyway :)

Thanks for that information on renamed objects turning blue. I had renamed
some as they had got the same name as others I had downloaded into the same
folder and I had to delete them from the game.

I thought it was because I hadn't got that colour enabler utility on the
SimPE site.

Skeatsan''co
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:12:06 PM

Actually, I've renamed objects without problems - everything seems to vary
for different users. I really can't work out why but thanks for that info.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message

> > "Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> THANKS to everybody! my compulsive, categorizing heart is at peace
> >> now!!
> >> I will be waiting for the answer to Gryfallon's question...could one
> >> change name to objects? this would be great too.
> >> Smeraldina
> >
> > Do not rename objects, it makes them unusable. Hopefully someday, they
> > will
> > come up with a way to do that. Hopefully, some creators will realize
that
> > too and name their objects so that they are recognizable.
> > I try to anyway :)

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:10:00 AM

Maxon wrote:

> Hope this helps
> I can feel another FAQ coming on

Planning on starting it soon. I'll save this message for it.

T.
January 25, 2005 3:02:49 AM

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message

> > "Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> THANKS to everybody! my compulsive, categorizing heart is at peace
> >> now!!
> >> I will be waiting for the answer to Gryfallon's question...could one
> >> change name to objects? this would be great too.
> >> Smeraldina
> >
> > Do not rename objects, it makes them unusable. Hopefully someday, they
> > will
> > come up with a way to do that. Hopefully, some creators will realize
that
> > too and name their objects so that they are recognizable.
> > I try to anyway :)
> >

> Thanks for that information on renamed objects turning blue. I had
renamed
> some as they had got the same name as others I had downloaded into the
same
> folder and I had to delete them from the game.
>
> I thought it was because I hadn't got that colour enabler utility on the
> SimPE site.
>
> Skeatsan''co

Hmm... I've got the color enabler, and I haven't renamed anything -- but I
had some objects that were blue, and I had to delete them.

Poppy
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:02:50 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:02:49 GMT, "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Smeraldina" <SmeraldinaGirl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Do not rename objects, it makes them unusable. Hopefully someday, they
>> > will
>> > come up with a way to do that. Hopefully, some creators will realize
>that
>> > too and name their objects so that they are recognizable.
>>
>> Thanks for that information on renamed objects turning blue. I had
>renamed
>> some as they had got the same name as others I had downloaded into the
>same
>> folder and I had to delete them from the game.
>>
>> I thought it was because I hadn't got that colour enabler utility on the
>> SimPE site.
>
>Hmm... I've got the color enabler, and I haven't renamed anything -- but I
>had some objects that were blue, and I had to delete them.

Ditto. I've got the color enabler, and I didn't rename anything, but
there was one set of bedding I had to delete because it was blue.
Maybe the person who made it renamed it before posting it for
download.

BW
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:58:02 AM

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:02:49 GMT, "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message

> >that
> >>
> >> Thanks for that information on renamed objects turning blue. I had
> >renamed
> >> some as they had got the same name as others I had downloaded into the
> >same
> >> folder and I had to delete them from the game.
> >>
> >> I thought it was because I hadn't got that colour enabler utility on
the
> >> SimPE site.
> >
> >Hmm... I've got the color enabler, and I haven't renamed anything -- but
> >had some objects that were blue, and I had to delete them.
>
> Ditto. I've got the color enabler, and I didn't rename anything, but
> there was one set of bedding I had to delete because it was blue.
> Maybe the person who made it renamed it before posting it for
> download.
>
> BW

That may have been it. I made a recolor of one of the commercial freezer
units and it turned blue and I did not rename it either. I tried again
after getting the color enabler with the same results............so not sure
what caused that.
January 25, 2005 4:20:28 PM

<barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:02:49 GMT, "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message

> >that
> >>
> >> Thanks for that information on renamed objects turning blue. I had
> >renamed
> >> some as they had got the same name as others I had downloaded into the
> >same
> >> folder and I had to delete them from the game.
> >>
> >> I thought it was because I hadn't got that colour enabler utility on
the
> >> SimPE site.
> >
> >Hmm... I've got the color enabler, and I haven't renamed anything -- but
> >had some objects that were blue, and I had to delete them.
>
> Ditto. I've got the color enabler, and I didn't rename anything, but
> there was one set of bedding I had to delete because it was blue.
> Maybe the person who made it renamed it before posting it for
> download.
>
> BW

If you open a package file with a hex editor, you can see the filename is
included within the file. Next time I come across one of these blue
objects, I'll compare the filename to the internal name, and see if they
match.

--Poppy
!