'Invalid Mode' Message after Upgrading Video Card

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Tonight I replaced a Radeon 4850 in my HTPC with a HIS brand 4670. My MB is the GA-MA78GM-S2H. I installed the latest version of the 4670 Radeon drivers. Windows XP started to boot and got as far as the splash screen. Then the screen went dark with a flashing 'Invalid Mode' message at the top of the screen. I've never seen this message before. I'm assuming it's related to the video card upgrade.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thx,
redjr..

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I wouldn't call that an upgrade at all dude, i'm hoping that was a typo...
anyways, here's the process.
1. Uninstall all drivers, SHUT DOWN computer.
2. Swap out cards. RESTART
3. Cancel any auto driver updates of Windows, install drivers. REBOOT

Is that how you did it?

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

I knew someone would probably comment on my choice of words about an upgrade. Actually I was moving the 4850 to another new rig build with a quad core CPU. The 4670 is good enough to watch BD which is what the HTPC is pretty much exclusively used for.

I did uninstall all drivers, shut down and re-installed the latest Radeon 4x series drivers - twice! But thanks for the suggestion. What's my next course of action?

redjr...

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Since I was unsuccessful getting my 4670 to work in the HTPC, I reinstalled a 9600 GT that had been in there earlier. Uninstalled all the ATi drivers and stuff, and reloaded the nVidia drivers. Everything is working fine now. Will try the 4670 in another rig.

redjr...

TRENDING THREADS