Intel E6320 overclock - Best M/B for overclocking

jimmys_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hello.
I currently have a PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 on an Intel motherboard. I would like to buy a new motherboard and put this processor on in order to be able to overclock it. Which brand or model do you recommend? Is this an easy job to do?
Thank you.

Many posters have reported they could reach higher OCing using P45 Chipset-based boards, than with X48 Chipsets. Here are the P45s at newegg. I like DFI, but go to the mfrs websites and see if they have the kind of support you might need - updated manuals, updated drivers, updated BIOSes, etc., and read the reviews for those you like. You may also want to google the board(s) you like for other reviews.

jimmys_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The only brands that are available at my local store are Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, Intel and MSI. Since I already own an Intel I know that they are not good for overclocking. So I have to choose between the rest of the brands, but I don't know anything about them. I only heard that Asus is a very good one. I'm also looking for a budget motherboard around $100. The DFI are pretty cool but unfortunately I can't get them. As for the chipset, most of the ones I looked have G31 or G41 and some P43 and one of them P45.

jimmys_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010

There are too many models to write them here. My question is if all 4 brands are good for overclocking or not. I think that if a brand allows you to overclock through the motherboard, then all models will allow it but if not (like Intel) no model will let you overclock. If that's not the case, then indeed I will have to look for a model. For just now I just need the brand and maybe the chipset that's better for this and your opinion whether overclocking the E6320 is worth it or I should just buy a new processor.

For just now I just need the brand and maybe the chipset that's better for this and your opinion whether overclocking the E6320 is worth it or I should just buy a new processor.
ALWAYS OC before buying a new CPU and/or switching CPU platforms (ie LGA775>AM3).There is no point no to.

As for OCing:
ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI, EVGA, and MSI, et al all have OCing ability.

HOWEVER, depending on the model, some settings will be reduced or missing. For example, on the P45-UD3L, there is no LLC, but, on the P45-UD3P there is LLC. The voltage options (as in range) esp. are also different from model to model even with the same manufacture.

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I like Gigabyte Just because of their Reliability... That particular board GA-EP45-UD3L Is a good Overclocker

GA-EP45-UD3L Rev 1.0

gigabyte_ep45_ud3l_profilelarge.jpg

GA-EP45-UD3L Rev 1.1

mb_productimage_ga-ep45-ud3l_v1.1_big.jpg

GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0

GA-EP45-UD3P.jpg

Any of these Boards Will do you Nicely
Ok maybe Number 3 is a bit Overkill But still...

Also Look For aftermarket cooling if you are serious About this OC
I have Been :fou: Hellfired :fou: by another Tom's Hardware Member About Frosty Tech But untill i find a better Webpage Im going to have to use this one...

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
Choose any one on that list. Also the Coolermaster Cm Hyper 212 Plus is a very good cooler and i believe it comes in at about $29

Good luck and keep us updated :D