Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New to verclocking Ram

Last response: in Overclocking
April 23, 2010 5:35:52 PM

ok first is overclocking Ram Really worth it? i have 3gb of DDR2 6400-800mhz.

but is it safe to overclock my Ram?

what exactly do you change when overclocking, and do you use a program or the Bios?

my Mobo has easy overclocking switches which iv already used to overclock my CPU.

do all motherboards and Ram allow overclocking?

heres mymotehrboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

any help explaining this would be appreciated.

More about : verclocking ram

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 5:47:20 AM

No overclocking RAM is not worth it, the only time it is worth it to overclock your RAM is when your CPU is OCed very high and you can't go any higher without the RAM going past its rated speed.

It is perfectly safe to overclock anything as long as you don't change the voltage, with RAM overclocking you shouldn't be raising the voltage anyway. Good airflow will make sure it doesn't overheat.

For any kind of OCing using the BIOS is highly recommended as there is more control and more saftey.

Yes all motherboards which alow CPU OCing allow RAM overclocking. Since the RAM speed changes with the FSB speed which is what changes the CPU speed as well.

Here is a thread discussing memory overclocking guides:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254402-29-memory-over...

Hope that helped.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 4:59:59 PM

For your RAM, try it in 20 mhx increments then back off when it becomes unstable, unless you want to keep going by adding more volts (not recommded). For your motherboard, I doubt you would see a gain even if it was stable to 900 mhz.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 5:43:28 PM

CrysisComa said:
ok first is overclocking Ram Really worth it?

Generally no.

but is it safe to overclock my Ram? said:
but is it safe to overclock my Ram?

Usually not dangerous. Do not exceed 2.2 volts on the RAM voltage. Other than that, if you overdo it, you generally just need to clear the BIOS and start over.

what exactly do you change when overclocking, and do you use a program or the Bios? said:
what exactly do you change when overclocking, and do you use a program or the Bios?

The operating frequency of RAM and its timing. Always try to use the BIOS.

do all motherboards and Ram allow overclocking? said:
do all motherboards and Ram allow overclocking?

Motherboards - no. Some motherboards have locked BIOS settings and can only be overclocked with difficulty if at all. RAM is different. You just plug it in and apply the settings to it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you try again.

I have looked at the RAM links. One problem with many of them are their age; some are pretty old. I keep putting off commenting on them.

Here's another link where we discuss this:
Overclocking RAM:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

April 27, 2010 3:26:07 PM

Best answer selected by CrysisComa.
m
l
!