What are my options?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 14, 2004 4:08:38 PM

I currently have cable wired to six TVs in my house. 4 Bedrooms and
two in the "public" areas of the first floor. I do not have telephone
lines near all of the TV sets to connect to a satellite receiver, if I
would choose to go with satellite.

My wife wants Turner Classic Movies real bad and the cable does not
have it. The cable also has no HDTV capability, although none of my
equipment has it either, I would like to consider it for the future,
at least in one room.

We used to have Direcway internet access, but DSL recently became
available. The sat antenna is still mounted outside. I know I
probably can't use it for TV.

We also have a home network that uses 2.4 Ghz for one of the
computers, since running cat 5 was a problem. We also use 2.4 Ghz
portable telephones. I understand there is some kind of wireless
adapter that allows a satellite receiver to be connected to the phone
lines. Would this interfere with the network and phones already in
use? I am afraid if I add satellite receivers directly to the phone
lines they will becom loaded down too much, especially since I have
filters in place because of the DSL. I currently have four
telephone/wireless phones connected.

What kind of deals are there for a six TV household?

Besides kicking out my adult age children (college age), are there
ways to save money?

Any solutions for the phone lines? I might only have to use wireless
for a couple TVs.

I see Dishnet can run 2 TVs from one receiver. How does one control
the channel from another room, especially if there is more than one
receiver involved.

If you live equally distant from two large cities can you pay extra to
get the local channels from both on either Dishnet or Directv?

What would be the cheapest way to get the Golf Channel on either
system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Russ

respond here or email responses to cruzincat"deletethis"@cruzincat.com

More about : options

April 14, 2004 9:15:59 PM

you don't have to have a phone line near every tv. That's only for their
high end receivers which I believe is the double tuner. I just ordered Dish
with 4 stand alone receivers with no phone hookups. The phone is mostly for
pay per view which you can order online also.
The double tuner, has two seperate hookups in the back so I believe it's
basically 2 receivers in one box. and the remote for the 2nd tv works off
your cable ready tv hookup.You can find out more on their website.
They have pdf files you can download that has diagrams of their
equipment(Dish).
"Russell Patterson" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I currently have cable wired to six TVs in my house. 4 Bedrooms and
> two in the "public" areas of the first floor. I do not have telephone
> lines near all of the TV sets to connect to a satellite receiver, if I
> would choose to go with satellite.
>
> My wife wants Turner Classic Movies real bad and the cable does not
> have it. The cable also has no HDTV capability, although none of my
> equipment has it either, I would like to consider it for the future,
> at least in one room.
>
> We used to have Direcway internet access, but DSL recently became
> available. The sat antenna is still mounted outside. I know I
> probably can't use it for TV.
>
> We also have a home network that uses 2.4 Ghz for one of the
> computers, since running cat 5 was a problem. We also use 2.4 Ghz
> portable telephones. I understand there is some kind of wireless
> adapter that allows a satellite receiver to be connected to the phone
> lines. Would this interfere with the network and phones already in
> use? I am afraid if I add satellite receivers directly to the phone
> lines they will becom loaded down too much, especially since I have
> filters in place because of the DSL. I currently have four
> telephone/wireless phones connected.
>
> What kind of deals are there for a six TV household?
>
> Besides kicking out my adult age children (college age), are there
> ways to save money?
>
> Any solutions for the phone lines? I might only have to use wireless
> for a couple TVs.
>
> I see Dishnet can run 2 TVs from one receiver. How does one control
> the channel from another room, especially if there is more than one
> receiver involved.
>
> If you live equally distant from two large cities can you pay extra to
> get the local channels from both on either Dishnet or Directv?
>
> What would be the cheapest way to get the Golf Channel on either
> system?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Russ
>

> respond here or email responses to cruzincat"deletethis"@cruzincat.com
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 9:31:53 PM

You could go w/ the 522 or 322 receivers from Dish. Both of them are 2 -
tuner receivers. The 522 is a DVR. The TV near the receiver uses an IR
remote and the TV(s) away from the receivers use a UHF Pro remote.
Depending on how many TV's you watch at any particular time, you could just
get 2 of the receivers and have one of them feed multiple TV's. You could
then go on eBay to buy the additional UHF Pro remotes for about $ 28 a piece
for each additional TV.

This way, you would only pay for one additional receiver ($4.99/) and could
have 6 TV's hooked up and be able to watch 4 different shows at the same
time w/ 2 of them being DVR.

Hope this helps.
"Russell Patterson" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I currently have cable wired to six TVs in my house. 4 Bedrooms and
> two in the "public" areas of the first floor. I do not have telephone
> lines near all of the TV sets to connect to a satellite receiver, if I
> would choose to go with satellite.
>
> My wife wants Turner Classic Movies real bad and the cable does not
> have it. The cable also has no HDTV capability, although none of my
> equipment has it either, I would like to consider it for the future,
> at least in one room.
>
> We used to have Direcway internet access, but DSL recently became
> available. The sat antenna is still mounted outside. I know I
> probably can't use it for TV.
>
> We also have a home network that uses 2.4 Ghz for one of the
> computers, since running cat 5 was a problem. We also use 2.4 Ghz
> portable telephones. I understand there is some kind of wireless
> adapter that allows a satellite receiver to be connected to the phone
> lines. Would this interfere with the network and phones already in
> use? I am afraid if I add satellite receivers directly to the phone
> lines they will becom loaded down too much, especially since I have
> filters in place because of the DSL. I currently have four
> telephone/wireless phones connected.
>
> What kind of deals are there for a six TV household?
>
> Besides kicking out my adult age children (college age), are there
> ways to save money?
>
> Any solutions for the phone lines? I might only have to use wireless
> for a couple TVs.
>
> I see Dishnet can run 2 TVs from one receiver. How does one control
> the channel from another room, especially if there is more than one
> receiver involved.
>
> If you live equally distant from two large cities can you pay extra to
> get the local channels from both on either Dishnet or Directv?
>
> What would be the cheapest way to get the Golf Channel on either
> system?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Russ
>

> respond here or email responses to cruzincat"deletethis"@cruzincat.com
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 11:17:14 PM

If surround sound is important the 522 is the choice. I almost made a
mistake when I switched from DirecTV. All of the Dish receivers do not have
optical Audio output.

!