henkhenk

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I've just build my new computer and when i started it, it says on the starting screen: CPU temperature is too high. Press F1 to continue, I press F1 and enter BIOS. [Btw i've a Q6600 G0 stepping with OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler!! I never used the stock cooler, I use OCZ.. How can that not work..?] Anyway I went into bios and went to power supply, set CPU Q-fan cooler @ turbo and the Case fan @ Turbo [which i don't even have..]. The temperature of my cpu is 100C... that CANT be right? I just opened windows of my room for fresh cold air... just started my pc up, and booted into bios, how can the CPU go to 100 degrees? and for the MB ram it was 30 degrees. Whats up :S

I don't even have windows on it, everytime I want to install it, it just reboots randomly thinking it is too warm.

well take the cpu cooler off, most likely its not making contact with cpu and thats why its running so hot. that what exactly happened when i build a computer for my friend. the first thing when it booted i went to bios and temps here 80c and were going up i knew something was going bad.

also did you take the protective sticker off the cooler? :p dumb question but people forget.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Did you remember to put thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink contacts? And if the computer is randomly rebooting because it think its warm you can shut that off in the bios. However it may also really be that hot and is shutting down due to instability.

henkhenk

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

hmmm... That must be it man, I think I will check that.. Maybe I should set the cooler closer or something.. Ill check that out.. Or maybe setting the stock cooler for testing? or that's just too much hassle? lol

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
reseat the cooler again get new thermal paste local at radio shack
alcohol prep swabs to clean old stuff off cpu be cafefull not to apply to
much they say about a grain of rice on the middle of cpu is good
but for vendetta 2 a small very thin line down but not to the ends
of the copper heatpipes is best

Most likely, your cooler is not properly installed.
Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I had the same problem once i wantet to install my cpu cooler, I pushed too hard, and BAM, the board broked, maybe if you push too hard too, you may have a crack in your board that can't be seen by naked eye, and the high temps are not right, it's the bad installiation of the cooler sink, so, consider a mobo crack!
these pins of intel's are very bad designed!

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006

the OCZ vendetta on the copper pipes that makes contact with the cpu
transfers the heat to the cooler
this is what i read and worked great for me

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/755/3/
With HDT coolers you have to put small lines of TIM on each of the pipes, if you just apply it to the center (cooler or CPU) the TIM will not spread; it will get sucked into the groves between the pipe and aluminum base. So treat it like 3 separate bases and put small amounts on each pipe.