Sign in with
Your question

How to connect 2 IDE DVD & 2 IDE harddrives to 1 IDE slot mainborad?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Connection
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2009 2:50:41 PM

Hi all,

I bought
an Asus M3N78-M motherboard,
an AMD Athlon x2 processor 2.7GHz dual core
and 2X 2GB memory sticks

yesterday to upgrade my system in order to hook up to my home theater system.

now I realize that the main board comes with only 1 IDE slot and multiple SATA slots.
However, my old hard drives are IDE and I don't wanna spend another +$100 on buying new hard drives.

Is there anyway I could get away with this? are the new generation dvd drives SATA? (thought maybe i could buy one of those instead?)

or how about forgoing 1 hard drive and a 1 DVD and connecting the hard drive and DVD using one cable to the 1 motherboard IDE? would that work at all?

Please let lemme know!

Thanks,

parachuterb

More about : connect ide dvd ide harddrives ide slot mainborad

April 12, 2009 3:54:34 PM

I would probably hook up the Hard drives Master/Slave and then buy a SATA DVD drive seeings how you can get one pretty dang cheap. I just got one the other day that was under 30 bucks at newegg that will run circles around my HP Lightscribe I bought for over $200 a few years ago.

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2009 12:28:33 AM

Hunter844 said:
I would probably hook up the Hard drives Master/Slave and then buy a SATA DVD drive seeings how you can get one pretty dang cheap. I just got one the other day that was under 30 bucks at newegg that will run circles around my HP Lightscribe I bought for over $200 a few years ago.

Really? Cause I have a similar HP drive, SATA/IDE, that I paid a lot for, and have been wondering if the newer drives really match it for error handling.
April 13, 2009 12:17:13 PM

Proximon said:
Really? Cause I have a similar HP drive, SATA/IDE, that I paid a lot for, and have been wondering if the newer drives really match it for error handling.

I don't have enough history on it to answer that.

I was speaking from a specs point of view. I'm sure ultimately you get what you pay for but my point being you don't have to pay out the ying yang for a really solid DVD burner drive these days.
April 13, 2009 3:25:27 PM

thanks guys ! so I guess the SATA DVD it is :)  going to get it today
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2009 6:44:51 AM

parachuter2b said:
thanks guys ! so I guess the SATA DVD it is :)  going to get it today

Or you could have bought an IDE controller card for about 15 bucks and used all of your existing drives...sorry I'm late :whistle: 
April 19, 2009 7:28:48 PM

thenewnumber2 said:
Or you could have bought an IDE controller card for about 15 bucks and used all of your existing drives...sorry I'm late :whistle: 

True, never thought about that. I'd rather go SATA if pushed into that corner instead of hanging onto IDE.
!