The problem that is gonna make me break my GTX 260 in half !

Colosseus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Hello there...

This is my first post here so better make it worth reading :p To start off, i would like to say that ive been using 2 days now to try and solve this problem and nothing seems to get me any closer to a solution.

Ive been reading through countless of forum posts on all sorts of forums the last few days, without posting anything, as i usually am one of those ppl that gets annoyed by ppl asking silly questions they could have read the answer to, a few pages down in the forum.... but this just wont work for me.

Heres the problem: I recently bought a Leadtek 260 GTS Extreme+ which was supposed to be an upgrade from my old Inno3D Geforce 8800 GTS. I figured i could just put it in and update the drivers and it would work... but noooo. Suddenly i had no sound. That was odd...? i thought to myself as everything had worked on the 8800 GTS.

Here is how i have set things up: I have a Philips 42" Cineos 1080p FULL HD tv thats being used as a monitor. It has 2 ms update time so its perform for gaming too. Anyway... that has allways been connected via a DVI-->HDMI cable which was plugged into the DVI on the 8800 and then HDMI to the TV. The sound, i took from my soundcard (Creative Soundblaster Audigy), via a normal jack and into the line in on the TV. Reason for doing this is that i know DVi doesnt transport sound.

This was also all fine and dandy, untill i chose to put the new 260 GTX card in. Now, it wont transport the sound anymore.... atleast not through the soundcard. For some odd reason, it looks like its trying to transport the sound data through the gfx card to my tv through the dvi-->hdmi cable. This is offcourse silly as sound doesnt travel through dvi. Now... i then went to read on alot of forums and what they suggest is that i use a plug on the 260 GTX with the SP/DIF cable i got with the card. Apparently, this will enable my sound to travel from my soundcard TO my gfx card THROUGH the dvi port TO my hdmi imput on my tv which should be able to produce the sound? As odd as it sounds it makes some kinda logic.... the thing is just, ITS NOT FRIGGING WORKING !
I have tried SO many different setups now...different settings in audio preffernces in vista sound panel... ive tried different soundcards and their sp/dif, ive tried the SP/DIF plug on my mobo to the gfx card and .... sigh... none of them is working.

Its really frustrating that everything is running kickass but i have no sound.
The reason why im posting this post here is cuzz i know its a GFX card produced problem. When i installed vista 64 bit again (yeh i just did a clean format) i installed the sound driver as the first thing, and lo and behold... i had sound ! But as soon as i installed the gfx forceware driver the sound stopped working.
I know my soundcard is working as it seems to play in the EQ and also reacts to microfone noises.

But putting all this aside... i really REALLY cant see why it should be nessasary to fiddle around with SP/DIF connections in the first place, as i ran without that stuff on my 8800 GTS on the exact same setup.... cables... tv etc.

So basicly.... so sum this up: Is there a way i can "tell" or "hack" the nvidia drivers to tell them to let my soundcard handle the friggin audio and not try and pass it through the gfx card? its none of its business.... and i just want it to work like it used to.

If its any help then this is my hardware:

Leadtek Geforce 260 GTX Extreme+
Asus P5N32E-SLi Motherboard
Creative Soundblaster Audigy

Thnx in advance, and please help with this :)

Colosseus

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Check in the device manager and see if there is a new sound device in there, if so, disable that perhaps. Also check your sound settings in control panel to be certain it's playing through the soundcard and not the other adapter. If all else fails, maybe uninstall all drivers, including the new sound drivers, reinstall only the geforce drivers, and then disable any unknown sound devices except your soundcard in device manager to see if you can force it into using your soundcard.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Nope, DVI doesnt carry sound. Period. If theres not a native HDMI port on your card, its not trying to put the sound through there. I would suggest uninstalling the drivers, hit it with DriverCleaner, and reinstalling fresh drivers DLed from nVidia.com

Extreme solution is to re-install windows, but generaly speaking, a DriverCleaner should get it.

EDIT: Didnt see you already reinstalled Windows. Are you certain there isnt an HDMI port on that card? If there is, you can A) use it to get sound to your screen, or B) dig through the nVidia control panel, somewhere there should be an option to redirect audio back to your standard outputs.

Colosseus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

it IS possible on newer gfx cards, to get it so send audio through the native dvi port. And yes... im sure my card doesnt have a hdmi port...none of the 260 or 280s have. I did indeed reinstall windows and it has nothing to do with anything else BUT the nvidia drivers... as i said, Its quite easy for me to obtain audio right now. It actually only takes 10 seconds :)... All i need to do is to uninstall the nvidia drivers and BAM, i have audio.

So again... what i need, is somehow to make the nvidia drivers stop trying to send sound through my gfx card and just let the soundcard handle it... like it allways has !

G

I have a similar problem, I get sound on my TV, but I also get static noise, and this all happened since I bought a new gtx 260. I've reinstalled drivers as well, seems like the graphics card is trying to take over the sound, but it can't so it shares it with my sound card. Which sounds like ****.

I get normal audio + static. :p

This only happens on my TV, not on my normal monitor/speakers.

So I was wondering, where that option you're mentioning is? I've looked but I can't find anything like that... :(

I know this sounds stupid, but it worked on my old Athlon setup with onboard sound: Uninstall both audio and video drivers, do the thing with driversweeper then install the video drivers first, then the audio.

G

Did not fix it I'm afraid, thanks anyway! :)

Anyone else? B-Unit, mind telling me where to find this option you're talking about? Would prolly solve it for me heh.

Olternaut

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
It has been six months. I'm assuming one or more of you have found a solution to the problem. Can you please share it with the rest of us???????

Geez!

Olternaut

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009

Hey! Did you ever find a solution to your problem because I have the same problem with my new gtx 275.

Agnate

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
From what I've gathered, the problem looks like this:

The graphics card enables sound to pass through the DVI port (as SPDIF) when you use the DVI-to-HDMI adapter. If you don't have the SPDIF audio connected into the card, the nvidia card sends a "blank" signal that your TV still picks up (thus disabling other audio inputs on certain TVs). If your TV does not let you choose the video and audio signals separately (ie. forces you to use the audio from the HDMI input), it will no longer play sound from other inputs. I did a bunch of research on my GTX 260, and this seemed to be the consensus.

I'm guessing this is the problem you're running into. Personally, I use a Pioneer VSX-919 receiver, so my TV isn't the one handling my audio. I am noticing, though, that I can't get 5.1 audio through the SPDIF, only Stereo sound, so I might have to switch to using the Fibre Optic cable from my audio instead.

tonyZ3C

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
hi

i'am working on theses points for 2 weeks now, if it can help you here are my conclusions
I have a 280GTX + a P6T deluxe mobo ( adi2000B audio device ) + 7 64 bits

olternaut:
i will conclude like Agnate : if you plug the hdmi to your tv, it takes the audio from this source
and probably your tv won't allow you to select another source for audio input

I have never seen in nvidia control panel a method to disable that blank sound transmission

Perhaps you can try using differents DVI -> HDMI adaptor, not all of them are dual links and if the pin is missing the signal won't be transmitted.
Otherwise use a DVI -> VGA adapter and plug it in your TV port
I haven't seen any quality difference between this method and the hdmi,

agnate
I have connected my mobo Spdif Out to the GPU with a cable and my receiver using a dvi => hdmi
+ set in the bios : HD audio instead of AC97
it works fine

To have AC3, dts in movies :
Set the spdiff device has the default sound system

upon the software you use, you have to amend the settings
ex : VLC => choose A52 over spdiff it will bypassth all surrounds to SPDIF and then the receiver will decode them

Otherwise have a look at AC3Filter it can be configured to bypath surround sounds and make stereo to be transformed to AC3
=>your mp3 and cd's are 5.1 on your receiver
i'am using MPC-HC as a player and have configured this ffdshow filter with the higher merit

games : this one is a bit harder
As i don't want to connect the analog outputs and all this cables between my pc / receiver
i'm trying to use the SPDIF-HDMI which in this case always be a stereo pcm signal

my soundcard doesn't seem to support Dolby Digital Live (DDL) or Dts Connect
which seems to be a hardware way to transform stereo to multichannel audio

so i have tried to find a software solution.
=> Virtual Audio Cable : this creates a new virtual audio device in windows that you can set as the default device.
Using GraphEdit you can plug this device and redirect the output to AC3Filter then to your receiver
=> you have 5.1 game in your receiver but because there is always a but :) the sound is delayed by 1-2s
so it is not a usefull solution and VAC is not free

=> conclusion to handle 5.1 game sound using SPDIF you have to buy a XFi sound card that handle DDL, DTS connect

i hope this helps
laurent

some links :
ac3filter : http://ac3filter.net/
ac3filter forum with virtual cable : http://ac3filter.net/forum/index.php?topic=1435.0

Peterpai

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I actually found out a simple solution to this.

Like many I hooked up the S/DPIF out cable to my card and hooked up the HDMI and....no sound :(

I had the same problem for a while now and just couldn't figure out what was wrong. I'm using the Asus M2N-SLI motherboard and it uses the C-Media sound and it said that it was outputting sound but still nothing.

I finally grabbed a DVI-D dual link cable and it solved the problem. The connector that comes with the card is a DVI-D SINGLE link cable so if you grab one with a dual link connector then you should be fine.

Connector type pics can be seen here:

Just take out the * to get to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:*DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Hope this helps :D

Gaberman

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009