Sign in with
Your question

Vitsuba PSU850W or Thermaltake 600W?

Last response: in Components
March 3, 2009 3:54:14 AM

hi everyone. This is my first post and my mother language is not english, so i apologize for misspellings and general writing mistakes.

Im Tom, from Bariloche, Rio Negro, Argentina. I was thinking on buying/building a new sytem and i have a doubt about the PSU. i want it to be upgradeable in some near/far future. So i was wondering if i should buy a quad core Q9550 or a Core I7. But either way, the system is going to be new to me (specially in energy details) so for one of those processors, with 4 or 6 Gb of Ram DDR3 1333 , one or two DVD RW, only one SATA hard drive and some nice videocard like an ati HD 4850 or 4870 what could be a better power supply? (my doubt is because both are at a similar price and i dont actually know the performance of vitsuba PSU's).

Option 1: A 850W Vitsuba PSU ( SAN-85-S)
Option 2: 600W Thermaltake (W0129RU)

I have really a lot of doubts in Amperage on the pci-e lines, like.. why does it says 30A for every 12v line if then it says that between the four 12v lines it should not exceed 58A ??
i was thinking on a psu that could then let me do Crossfire.
I need to decide if i go for Core2Quad or Core I7 (or just sit and wait for them to low their prices) but either way i can't understand why a 850Watts vitsuba is cheaper than a 600Watts thermaltake.

I took an online quiz to know how much Wattage should my PSU have, and even with Crossfire the max i could spend is 730-750Watts(according to some webpage). so, is the Vitsuba 850Wats PSU ok?

Thanks in advance

Tom

PD- did i misspelled something?
March 3, 2009 4:43:53 AM

A- im looking for the best-cheapest good choice (not cheapest choice(crappy) nor best choice($$$)).. i have a tight budget, but i know how much a good PSU means..
B- Couldn't find any Corsair PSU on two of the local Computer -shops (i have like 3 or 4 more to visit). I couldn't find any corsair PSU on mercadolibre.com.ar (argentinian e-bay).. im not sure about buying directly to USA. Not happy on giving my credit card/bank deposit to someone i cant actually hit with my car if i dont get what i paid for. (joke)
Related resources
March 3, 2009 4:46:45 AM

and also.. if i find PSU's like the one you mentioned.
Original Price: $179.99---> in Argentina its going to be something like 300 dollars.

Original Price: $169.99---> in here like 280 dollars..

:S:S:S
March 3, 2009 5:05:12 AM

If you want the option of crossfire you will have to pay more for a quality high wattage PSU. You could always save money by going with a lower wattage unit (500-600 watts) and only running 1 video card.

What brands do you have available to you?
March 3, 2009 5:20:27 AM

i guess. if the vitsuba 850W is not good.. then i will go for only one single video card (i am going to buy only one.. iw as thinking on a future crossfire some day.. but if is that much money i'll just go with one video card).

in my "argentinian e-bay" i see brands like:
(from 500 to 550/600W)
Noganet
Sentey
Overtech
Apex
Vantec
Coolermaster
Powercooler
Satellite
Purepower

(from 600Watts to 1000Watts)
Coolermaster
Purepower
Powercooler
Thermaltake
Only one(1) Zalman at 750W
Satellite
Antec

is it ok to post links gere? is it against the forum rules?.. i could just post the link to the listed PSU's over 500Watts.
March 3, 2009 5:23:45 AM

http://computacion.mercadolibre.com.ar/fuentes-500-w-o-...*DESC_ItemTypeID_N

Order:From more expensive to cheapest
Showing: only new items (not used PSU's) & Only 500W+ PSU's(above 500W)
Dollars are expressed in U$S.. the $ sibol means argentinian PESOS.(at 02 march 2009 1 dollar is 3.62 argentinian pesos - tomarrow that will change probably)
March 3, 2009 5:24:59 AM

i forgot.. one of my local retailer just send me a mail and offered me a 550W XFX PSU and a 600W/750W Thermaltake

600W Thermaltake = 275 dollars

W0116RU de 750WThermaltake= 335 dollars

550W XFX= i didn't asked

They do work with thermaltake.. he saind "we only work with generic PSU's or thermaltake PSU's".. but thermaltake is sooooo expensive...
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2009 7:15:27 AM

You either buy a more expensive PSU, or put your whole PC at risk.
March 3, 2009 7:50:47 AM

Thermaltakes arn't bad PSUs, especially the newer 600w+ ones
a c 121 ) Power supply
March 3, 2009 1:56:38 PM

Antec is a good PSU brand. If not out of your price range, one of them should be a good, safe choice. I don't like their older ones, but have read better things about the newer Coolermasters as well. If you get one with Active PFC that is 80+ certified, you're a lot less likely to get crap.
jonnyguru.com, hardwaresecrets.com, and hardocp.com are among the sites that do good, competent technical reviews of PSUs. Xbitlabs has some too. By "competent technical review" I mean one that includes load testing and waveform analysis.
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2009 5:01:59 PM

^+1. The old CoolerMaster PSUs were pretty crappy. Well said!
March 5, 2009 1:10:58 AM

i think i'll go for a coolermaster 750W i found.. it has excellent Amperage, it has all the connector i need (even more.. it has 4 PCI-E, 2 on each 12v rail).
and its "sort of" within my price range..
its SLI certified and 80 plus certified..
But im still thinking on waiting maybe 2 or 3 months to see if the prices change a bit.. i know in april amd is launching new CPU's, maybe intel will low their prizes.. and i think this year USB 3.0 is comming out, so motherboards with USB 2.0 will drop off too..
Im kindda in a "bottleneck" price problem..
Thank you very much for the responses..

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
!