Asus P5Q PRO 8g of 1066 mhz?

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
would that memory even work for this motherboard? There isn't any approved 1100 on the QVL.

I do plan on doing a small overclock of the processor. Do you think i should just go for 800mhz ram? would there be any increase in gaming performance to go with the 1066 or would the 800 preform about the same

With a mild to moderate overclock you don't need more than 800Mhz.

Tests were done. The increased memory speed has almost no effect on gaming or most benchmarks. A few synthetic benchmarks show small improvements. The same is true for DDR3 on LGA 775 boards.

A QVL is simply a list of memory the company has sitting around that they could run a test with. Pull up the QVL of other boards by the same company, and you'll discover they are quite similar ;)

They never post a list of NON-qualified RAM, do they?

My P5Q-E runs like a champ on this:

G.Skill PI Black 4GB CAS4 1.8-1.9V 800Mhz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Granted, it defaults to the CAS 5 1.8V config and has to be manually adjusted to the CAS 4 1.9V config.

I could probably get 8GB to run if I wanted to, but it's kind of useless unless you are doing something specific that needs it.

That G.Skill RAM runs fine at 1.8V and 4-4-4-12 timings in a P5Q Deluxe and it should run just as well in any Asus P5Q motherboard (and lots of other P45 motherboards as well).

I wish people would get over the "more is always better" idea and try some thinking instead .

If the Tomshardware reviewers cant get a statistically significant improvement going from 3 - 6gig of ram , even using a 64 bit OS , then why would anyone waste money buying 8 gigs instead of 4?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264.html

And since i will get flamed , at least have the sense to fire up your favourite game in a WINDOW , and have a look at windows task manager to see how much RAM that game is actually using .

Anyone who thinks more is always better is going to be surprised

4 or 8 GB of that RAM will work fine. A maximum of 3.2 GB will show up in XP, but that's enough for gaming and office applications. Get 8 GB if you'll use it, e.g., you'll run VMware Workstation and several VMs or you'll run applications that take advantage of more memory. As tested by Tom's, games don't need more than 3 GB. If you get 8 GB, also get Vista 64 to take advantage of it.