Sign in with
Your question

Risk in overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
April 24, 2010 8:52:56 AM

how much risk is envolved in overclocking??
if after overclocking, if it is working fine, then is there any possiblity that it will fail in futere???

More about : risk overclocking

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 12:38:54 PM

Overclocking is perfectly safe if you know what you're doing. You can possibly kill your CPU or motherboard if you don't do it right/increase the voltage too much/push it too far/let it overheat.

It is possible that it will fail in the future if you do overclock it and works fine for the time being, possibly if you made changes to your hardware or for example summertime approaches and your CPU keeps overheating. Some CPUs can die overtime.
April 24, 2010 2:44:01 PM

If u overclock ur voltage should be on auto because it has limited voltage usage, so if u gonna overclock do that and increase the FSB and multi slowly, if the pc fails to start it means OC failed! the screen will remain black, so u have to restart the pc then a message will appear: The last Bottup failed because of....
Then go on the bois and change the Multi or FSB to lower number. If ur pc is new(2003-now) it will protect u against frying ur components! So ur totally safe.
Related resources
April 25, 2010 3:40:47 AM

Interesting, I was quite weary of the risk of overclocking. I am going to do it anyway I suppose. I been on these forums for the past 6months or so , and managed to build my own system because of it, so I only see it as fitting as I should take it to the next level and overclock :) 
April 25, 2010 2:26:35 PM

I heard that overclocking it's forcing your computer components , and eventually will burn them off quickly then without any overclocking. I got no clue about overclocking but i would really like to know if that's true.
April 25, 2010 7:28:57 PM

I agree it's safe as long as you stay within your components recommended limitations. As long as you do your RESEARCH and stay below voltage and heat maxes I dont think you will shorten the life of your components. Keep a log so you know excactly what you did and only change one setting at a time at very small increments. Make sure you have software so you can monitor your voltages and heat.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 4:50:43 PM

hey bud.....

I'm a regular overclocker helper to everyone you might be thinking overclocking is *** but its better if u run it at proper voltages and cooling aswellas core clockes.

>It blows the warranty
>It reduces life span of the computer
>produces heat,before overclocking be ready to apply coolers in the processors

Due to certain draw backs people fears that only experts can handle but its easy and benificial if u can control it.

best of luck,If you are using any cheap machine I recommend u the OC but not on heavy machines.

regards.....
a c 205 K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 5:29:58 PM

ankityadav4u said:
how much risk is envolved in overclocking??
if after overclocking, if it is working fine, then is there any possiblity that it will fail in futere???

It depends on how much overclocking knowledge you've invested in learning as to how much risk is involved, and from you even asking this question, your overclocking knowledge is close to zero, so failure risk for you will be very high, until you invest the time, and learn about the subject you're inquiring about.

My advice to any newbie to the overclocking world is learn first then do, study overclocking articles, guides, and anything you can find on the subject, then you'll have more direct and specific questions that you'll end up asking.

We all had to learn, and if you're serious about overclocking you will too!
May 1, 2010 5:55:57 AM

hey bro........

certainly I can say that u r still at rookie level,Of course u need more knowledge about every part of the system to overclock.You will become professional only if u do ur homework to read articles,everything actually ,
i M A PROFESSIONAL OVERCLOCKINER AND HACKER BY PROFESSION.....nO NEED TO WORRY MUCH BUT PROCEED WITH CATION OR ELSE U LL SURELY FRY IT.......IT IS DAMN *** THING.........tOTALLY UNDERSTAND THE COOLINGS AND MOTHERBOARD AS WELL AS PROCESSOR TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR THE OVERCLOCKER TO OVERCLOCK.It wont take much.There can be following outcome ........

* Success: The processor may overclock perfectly, and run stably for many years to come. There are thousands of people who have done this, and I am certainly not going to deny it. This is the best case outcome.
* Immediate Destruction: It is possible to totally destroy a processor by attempting to overclock it. By destruction, I mean that the processor will not boot at the higher speed, and when returned to its normal speed, will continue to not function. This is basically the worst case outcome. This sort of permanent failure is very rare, but it does happen. It is made more likely by using inadequate cooling, and also by being ridiculously aggressive in how far you try to overclock (i.e., trying to run a Pentium 75 at 166 MHz.)
* Non-Functionality: The processor may not work at the new speed, but may work fine when returned to its original speed. This is a fairly common outcome when overclocking, and in most cases the processor will not be any the worse for wear.
* System Instability: The processor may boot at the new speed, but you may see the system behave strangely. Random hard lockups, parity errors, resource conflicts, strange hard disk problems, beeping, application crashes and Windows refusing to boot are just the tip of the iceberg. Particularly insidious are the overclocks that work almost perfectly, because that occasional crash may be due to your operating system, but it may be due to that overclocked chip also.
* Data Loss: It is very possible to lose data as a result of overclocking. If the processor is not functioning properly, you risk potentially damaging the structures of your hard disk's file system. It is also not uncommon for the Windows registry files to become corrupted, requiring a complete Windows reinstall. Needless to say, a full backup before overclocking is a wise move.
* Electromigration: When the processor is run at a speed that is higher than it is supposed to be run at, there is a chance that the internal components in the processor may break down over time. The internal features of a CPU are sized in the range of microns. It is possible that when the processor is stressed by running at too high a frequency, along with the extra heat that overclocking incurs, that the actual metal lines inside the processor may form shorts or opens and damage the processor over a period of time. How likely this is to happen, and how long it takes is really not known. The system may work fine for a while and then suddenly stop working.

good luck comrade....

CHARGe....
REGARDS......
!