Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a dual 120mm radiator! Help please!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 24, 2010 5:57:09 PM

Ok, so I'm still pretty new to the whole LCS club, but so far have been playing it pretty safe and only have had minor leaks (go me!)
Anyways! I'm looking for a cheap, yet effective dualfan radiator to mount on the back of my Sunbeam Transformer. The Black Ice series has appealed to me since the first time I googled 'PC radiators'. Are they effective and worth their price? So far, my LCS needs have been met by frozencpu.com, but I stumbled upon a website that has EXACTLY what I'm looking for at an extremely reasonable price. The thing holding me back is that I've never shopped here before. Let me know your thoughts on the website please, cause if I can save some odd $20-$30 dollars, I'd be most pleased! :) 
Links:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4084/ex-rad-85/Black_...

Thanks Tom's!

-Rambo

More about : dual 120mm radiator

April 24, 2010 7:03:14 PM

Ya, I was looking at newegg's "broad" selection of liquid cooling components and was unable to find one with 3/8in barb compatibility. That is a very good price though, thanks for the reply sirheck!

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 7:46:12 PM

Please start with the link at the top. it lists stores, radiator tests, other forums, all sorts of goodies. You'll find many answers there.

Umm Newegg isn't a good place for watercooling parts

And umm you buy barbs to fit your hose size.

April 24, 2010 8:20:15 PM

Best answer selected by rambo117.
m
l
April 24, 2010 8:20:59 PM

Wow, I should have looked before I spoke, thanks a million Conumdrum! All these different store links should keep me plenty busy ;) 
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 8:28:17 PM

The store links mean nothing unless you understand the charecteristics of the different types and styles of radiators.

Use the Martin and Skinnee links a lot. Look at each link and bookmark them, you'll need them sooner than later.
m
l
April 24, 2010 8:50:03 PM

So is the swiftech radiator from newegg not any good?

The one i got from newegg sure as hell looks the same as the one
i got from jabtech and sidewinder. :sarcastic: 
m
l
April 24, 2010 8:57:07 PM

Do you think it would be worth the trouble with modding if I went to an auto shop in town and picked up a heatercore? I've heard that they can make a pretty kickass rad once modded, and theyre real cheap. What are your oppinions on that conumdrum? You seem like the guy to come to for liquid cooling :p 

I took a look at the links, very indepth and helpful, the MCR220 doesn't look like a wise investment anymore. (large pressure drop!)
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 9:19:19 PM

Well we all know Newegg has a limited supply of the good stuff. Thats why the specialized places is better.

The MCR220 has a bit more pressure drop than some other rads. Rad pressure drop is nothing to worry about. it's almost insignificant next to blocks, many 90 degree fittings. So don't fret that. The MCR rads are for the money the best rad you can buy. Thermochill, XSPC, Black Ice SD-1 series are the best for low noise and better somewhat (10-15%) than the MCR rads.

Thats where you dig into the links and read and learn a lot and understand the rads more before you buy.

Maybe a week or 3 of reading links, and reading a few hundred WC posts on the forums that are linked before you buy.

Heatercores are great. They are thick and fins are very tight. You'll need TWO 120mm fans, 38mm thick 2000+ RPM. Otherwise they aren't that good.

They are LOUD but great rads. A long time ago they were the best, pretty much all there was. Now a day special purpose rads are better and much quieter.
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:42:12 PM

First off: Nice watercooled setup sirheck! Glad to hear that a simple dualfan rad can handle that large of a load. (later I plan on adding my two 5750's to the loop)

second off(Conumdrum): If I went with a Black Ice one, do you think that my purchase would be justifiable compared to the MCR220? In the long run, the Black Ice will actually be cheaper because it comes with 3/8" barbs (MCR220 doesnt). And can I just go down to a hardware store and pick up some cheap compression rings? Hella cheaper than the ones that are sold seperately from the rad's.

You've been very helpful, thank you very much!
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 10:32:12 PM

The black ice comes with the barb size you select. From 1/4" to 1/2" OD, or even compression fittings depending on your tubing size. The thread size fools a LOT of new people. They are BSPP G1/4 threads. A british standard thread, it's what all watercooling (well good watercooling) uses.

There are many Black Ice rads, from the very old ones to the latest ones, the SR-1 series. So I have NO idea what rad you bought.

LOL, you won't find G1/4 thread stuff at a hardware store. You buy the stuff from a special;ty watercooling site like we all do.

I'll state it again:

Maybe a week or 3 of reading links, and reading a few hundred WC posts on the forums that are linked before you buy.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 2:50:20 AM

rambo117 said:
Ok, so I'm still pretty new to the whole LCS club, but so far have been playing it pretty safe and only have had minor leaks (go me!)
Anyways! I'm looking for a cheap, yet effective dualfan radiator to mount on the back of my Sunbeam Transformer. The Black Ice series has appealed to me since the first time I googled 'PC radiators'. Are they effective and worth their price? So far, my LCS needs have been met by frozencpu.com, but I stumbled upon a website that has EXACTLY what I'm looking for at an extremely reasonable price. The thing holding me back is that I've never shopped here before. Let me know your thoughts on the website please, cause if I can save some odd $20-$30 dollars, I'd be most pleased! :) 
Links:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4084/ex-rad-85/Black_...

Thanks Tom's!

-Rambo

Here's a kit that's made of all good parts, has a dual fan radiator with fans, and saves you around $50 compared to a component system:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8411/ex-wat-140/Swift...

You can spend the saved money to...make it a custom component system by adding other parts.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 3:24:06 AM

It's $20 cheaper at Jabtech.
m
l
April 25, 2010 5:19:49 AM

Thanks for the request Crashman, but I already have an LCS running. My rad is extremely weak (single 120mm) and inferior to my CPU's overclocking needs. (load temps at 47C stock blah) I'm not looking for a complete new setup, I only have 50 dollars! And i've already bought a new pump and reservoir (good quality parts too). In the long run, that kit would have been excellent probably, but kind of a waste at this point.
m
l
!