Sign in with
Your question

Adding new HD to older PC?

Last response: in Storage
May 22, 2010 10:03:17 PM

I have this system: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?...

I added scythe fans and new HD. As well as a radeon 3650 HD video card. I maxxed out its ram at 2gigs.. it still has the 1.8ghz pent 4.

It runs WinXP Pro latest service package and updates.

I have a 80gig HD in there right now and I always have to delete and move files to different media because I run out of space. I was wondering if it is possible to add a larger IDE drive?

I heard that XP doesn't recognize HD's over a certain size... is this true? What would be my best option here? How am I able to set HD has a 2nd HD so it is only for storage and not used to boot?

Another I dea I had was to just mirror image my 80g to a larger HD, but not sure if I should do that.

Also... in my C:\ folder I have files with random names like ae2329ai2248718... a bunch of them that looks like windows installation files?

More about : adding older

a b U Graphics card
a b G Storage
May 22, 2010 11:21:08 PM

You can do everything you just said. XP before the first service pack had problems with large drives, after SP1, no worries.
Your system uses an IDE drive.
You can download a drive mirroring program like Acronis True Image (use the free trial version, you only need it for about an hour to do the swap) Most retail drive Kits come with mirroring software anyway. So you don't need to worry about Acronis if you buy a new kit, if you only buy the bare drive, you will need to get the software. You can also download mirroring software from the drive makers website if you prefer.
Install the new drive along with the old drive, install it as the slave drive by setting the jumper. Boot up Windows, and make sure the drive is set to active under Disk Management. Use Acronis (or whatever mirroring software you are using) to mirror your 80 gig drive to the new one.
Yes, you can mirror everything on your 80 gig drive to say a 500 gig drive.

Shut down, change the 80 gig drive to slave, the new drive to master, reboot...tada!
m
l
May 23, 2010 3:29:20 AM

Approximately how long does that process take? I'm sure transferring 80gigs from data takes a few hours.

Can you, or anyone else, recommend any IDE harddrives? I wen't to a local place, but they only have 80gigs for IDE, the rest are SATA's.
m
l
May 23, 2010 2:04:36 PM

well k you can consider this option if you want......buy a sata hard disk itself because you can get a larger storage space like a 250 gb or higher for your system at a cheaper rate than ide hard disk ... and get a SATA to IDE converter with a good speed upto max 600mbps and you can use a SATA hard disk for storage....
m
l
!