Weird Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 SpeedFan readings?

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Hello All,

If this question has been answered by the community, I'm sorry for another post! Recently I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 processor after having had a Core 2 Duo E6600. Installation went well, I am running Vista Home Premium Edition 64 bit and to date I have had no problems - except for one.

The Q9650 is attached to an ABIT IX38 QuadGT motherboard and the temperature readings for the processor in the bios are at 103 degrees centigrade - which is exceptionally warm. I also have the micro GURU external clock and it too reads at the same temperature. Concerned I dismantled everything, removed the motherboard, thoroughly cleaned the thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) from both processor and my Tuniq Tower and reapplied and reinstalled.

Everything is back up and running, but my bios is still reading the same 103 degrees centigrade. What is really weird is there is no fluctuating of the temperature, no random reduction or increase in temperature - the reading stays static at 103. So I installed Speedfan. Speedfans readings are as follows:

CPU = 108C
Core 0 = 29C
Core 1 = 29C
Core 2 = 31C
Core 3 = 31C

It doesn't make since that the overall CPU temperature would read 108C, and the individual cores are at nominal temperatures or less? I have a feeling that this is a weird quirck with Quad Core processors. I have even gone as far as placing my finger on the processor and socket edge and the heat was not unbearable, as a matter of fact it just felt warm to the touch. The obvious concern is that over a short period of time this will cause permanent damage to my processor if the bios temperature reading is acurrate - something I wish to avoid. So, I am appealing to the community for any suggestions, or advice - Is this a common occurence with Quad Core processors? I really need your help with this one.

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks yomamafor1. I installed the "Core Temp" app., as you suggested - and unfortunately nothing seems to have changed much. Following are the temperature readings that are being recorded by "Core Temp":

Tj. Max = 100C
Core 0 = 29C
Core 1 = 29C
Core 2 = 31C
Core 3 = 30C

As you can see, the "overall" temperature is 100C - yet the individual core temps., are nominal. I think what would set my mind at ease would be if someone could explain the variances in the different numbers; from Tj Max temp to Core 3 temp? Should I be paying attention to the individual core temperatures or the overall (Tj. Max)?

Hopefully yomamafor1 you are able to explain this, or anyone out there are you able to explain this too me? In my illogical mind, it just doesn't make any sense that the individual core temperatures would display nominal, but the Tj. Max temperature is 100C+!? I really need some help with this one, I do not want to damage my new processor and I would like to have a better understanding of what I should be most concerned about, and what I should be keeping my eye on while monitoring my system. Anyone in the community - don't pass my thread by - educate me! Thanks.

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Isn't the CPU temp reported via the the mb/bios while the core temps come from the chips themselves? My guess is there is an issue with the mb temp sensor.

Intel's 45nm chips have issues with core temps not going BELOW a certain threshold but they are generally accurate ABOVE that threshold. My E8500 is stuck at 38c for example. When I put it under load and the temps go over 38c, speedfan works fine. Also, realtemp reports my temps at 5c lower then what speedfan and coretemp show as it is supposedly more accurate for 45nm chips.

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I read something pretty interesting about the application that yomamafor1 recommended. It appears that "Core Temp" is read in this way: the Tj. Max reading is not the overall or current temperature of my Quad Core 9650, rather it determines what the maximum temperature the processor can reach before instability or a protective shutdown of the system can occur.

The other core readings, i.e., Core(s) 0, 1, 2, 3 are the actual temperatures for the individual cores - this is what a user should be monitoring if there is concern about overheating.

According to the "Core Temp" application, all 4 cores at idle in my rig are reading temperatures of between 29C - 31C, which is obviously at "safe limits". Also, after quite a bit of Google searching the problem that I'm experiencing is not unique to the Intel Quad Core 45nm processors. It can range from bios reading problems, 3rd party apps or external devices displaying incorrect temperatures. I am fairly confident that my processor is not overheating, rather my Abit IX38 motherboards bios is not able to read the temperatures accurately. That said, I would still like to get input from other 45nm quad core users - and possible solutions or fixes for this.

manderson71

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I'm having the exact same problem my thermal margin is at 24c i have a Q9650 and a dp35dp board with a zalman big freakin fan.

I have seen other posts that have this problem but haven't seen a resolution yet...if i find one i'll post back.

M

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Since i first posted my problem it still has not been resolved. I have researched it and found out that it is a problem inherent with your motherboards bios. I have an Abit IX38 QuadGT, and since Abit has stopped manufacturing motherboards, and (I hear) that their bios engineers have left - I'm pretty much screwed.

But, a number of users with quad core processors and heat reading problems have updated their motherboards bios' and fixed their problems. The problem is in the bios temperature reading. It does not mean that your processor is running hot, "yomamafor1" suggested a nice little app called Core Temp which gives me fairly accurate readings for each core. At least now I know where my processors real temperature is.

As I understand it, the stepping feature in quad core processors (i have the q9650) is the problem. If the processor has E0 stepping it creates an anomolie in the bios causing incorrect temp readings. It is so bad with the Abit IX38 QuadGT, that I have been unable to install Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7. When I attempt to install either of those programs I receive an error message indicating that my "processor is not equal" at which time my system BSOD's and the installation aborts.

Sadly it is time for a new motherboard. I really like my Abit IX38, but without continued support from Abit; especially with newer and newer technology coming in leaps and bounds - this board is just not worth keeping - Cest la vie I guess. Any suggestions for a good replacement motherboard with high overclock potential would be welcomed. I need something with an 775 socket, still supporting DDR2 ram and obviously the Intel Q9650 processor. I've kind of been looking at ASUS, but I'm all ears. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS