New Memory help!

hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hi all, i've looked around and it seems you guys are the people to ask, so i grovel before your god like knowledge in request of help.

About 2 months ago i upgraded my RAM, gfx card and PSU. And now during more intense games my system locks up and i get a buzzing from the speakers.

This occours during games like Crysis, COD World At War, COD4 and GTA IV things like that. It never seems to happen in games like EVE, Pro Evo 09, Evil Genius etc. So i'm putting this down to the high frame rates etc demanded by these generally FPS games.

It didn't ever seem to happen with the older components, but wanted better gfx for the games above that were sluggish before.

I got 4gig of OCZ RAM, XFX 8800GT, and an 850watt PSU (i forget the make).

with 4gig of RAM Crysis will lock up merely on the load screen, 3gig of the RAM runs better but will lock up more randomly in game, same for 2gig. Online play is often a way to lock it up as well.

I'm on XP SP3 32b, and i have upgraded gfx and sound drivers to the latest issues. I have no real problems running the computer for more day to day programs, and can use things like Photoshop and Dreamweaver no problems.

Any Ideas anyone? Have i got a dud batch of RAM?

Any light you could shed would be much appreciated guys.

Dan