Need help cleaning up old driver files [important].

Sorkenlol

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hello. I was told that a new driver called "185.20" would increase my FPS in some games. It's not officially released by Nvidia yet, so I didn't really know what I was getting into. Anyway, I downloaded the driver and installed it, but instead of an FPS increase I was greeted by a bluescreen on startup. So I rolled back the driver to 178 manually, it all worked fine, except for in the games. Whenever I've played for 5-10 minutes, the game freezes and I get kicked back to the desktop. The colors on the desktop are all messed up and in 640x400 resolution, I get an error message saying there's been an error with "nv4_disp" display driver and that it has to exit. I am thinking this is cause of old files from the previous driver messing around with my current, working one. I am not sure how to go about fixing this problem, I suspect I have to mess around with the registry which is something I don't do unless I absolutely got to. I am really bad at these things, so please, if anyone knows how to help me, please! Any help is appreciated, thanks.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Some guys talk about a program called drivesweeper, may want to google that, reboot into safe mode, run it to try and clear all traces of the new drivers, then reinstall the old ones to see if that takes care of it for you.

Sorkenlol

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks alot guys, I will try this. I've just reinstalled my driver, if i t happens again I'll try Drive Sweeper.