RAM configuration help needed - 6 GB works, more than that a disaster

brianz

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi - I am at a loss to solve this problem. I am running the following new build:

Asus P6X58D Premium
i7 980x
Corsair 850TX PSU
Asus ENG GTX 470 graphics card
Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 - two sets of 3x2
Intel 160 GB SSD for OS and applications

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. My goal has been to have 6x2=12 GB RAM. Instead I can only run 6 GB with any stability. I have flashed the BIOS to 0808, which actually helped a lot, since before the flash I could only run 2 GB! I am running all the RAM either in full "auto" or at the manually entered stock speeds, results are the same regardless.

Interestingly, once I go from 6 GB to 8 GB RAM in the BIOS "auto" modes, suddenly the motherboard will reduce speeds from 1333 to 1066 and the timings go down to 8-8-8-20. But entering the specs manually doesn't make a difference.

I haven't played with timings, speeds, voltages, etc., since I don't really know how. I don't want to overclock, nor do I want to have to understanding overclocking (I don't) to make 12 GB of allegedly compatible RAM work properly.

It posts fine on boot, but the problem is that it crashes (BSOD) when entering Windows or very soon thereafter.

I have done Memtest on each stick individually and all together as 12 GB with no problems, so it's clearly something between the RAM, the BIOS, and Windows 7. I don't think anything is physically defective, but I am wondering if the BIOS settings need to be changed.

The RAM is on the Asus QVL and Corsair says it's compatible with that board.

Does anybody have BIOS settings to suggest? Was I off base to think that you could run 12 GB of compatible RAM either in "auto" or at stock specifications?? I didn't think I needed to be a hardcore RAM overclocking expert to run 12 GB at stock speeds, but I guess I thought wrong...

Please help!

Thanks,
Brian

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
First, it would be better to use either 3 or 6 sticks of ram.

Check in your Bios and see what voltage the Bios defaulted to, you may want to try bumping it up a notch or two if it's under 1.65v.

brianz

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
The mfr RAM speed is actually 1.50v. Are you suggesting I still bump it up? I'm a little scared of voltage tweaks.

The BIOS doesn't list anything but "auto" or manual voltage selections; I can't find out what "auto" ends up unless I look in CPU-Z in Windows. With 6 GB installed, it's pretty much right at 1.50v.

As mentioned I'm afraid to bump up voltage, because then I'd have to compensate with other relationships, and with the i7 980x the multiplier or whatever is different so I feel like it's not a typical overclock anyway.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, with a lot of systems, you have to go into the Bios and manually set the memory speed/timing/voltage because it doesn't auto detect it properly.

When all memory slots are populated it will usually work at default settings, but as you have found out, not always.

If you can enlist the aide of a friend who can help you adjust some of the memory settings you should be able to get the 12 Gbs to function properly or else you may have to settle for the 6 Gbs configuration.