fl_surveyor

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
thinking about getting the parts together for a new build...

this will (groan) be running XP, and I'm aware of the limitations, but that's what it has to be...

parts already acquired:
Lian Li pc60 case
2 seagate 7200 rpm 500 gb sata drives
waterchill pump, 80 mm black ice radiator, chipset cooler, and cpu cooler & fan
mushkin 4 rail 650 watt power supply

other than the above , the rest is still in research..

I was wanting to do a asus p5q pro motherboard, E8500 core 2 duo CPU, 512 either nvidia 9800, or 5650 ati graphics card, and either 2GB or 4GB ram, 2 samsung 20x dvd burners, and a floppy drive, and a pci card for parallel & serial port.

I want to overclock this, both memory & cpu and have it be rock stable & use as much as the combination as possible. if I could have better performance with 4gb ram, even though I could not use all of it due to xp limitations,

not really looking for a gaming rig, per se, but a good cad platform...something that will fly through xp & the current applications I have..

thanks for the input..

fl_surveyor

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
thanks for the sugestions, I like gigabyte boards, still running a 7n400 pro 2..

it will also save a pci card as the com & serial headers are on the board.

how much diffrence is the e0 vs the c0 stepping in the cpu, as i've seen them in both flavors..

I don't believe it's as important for Wolfdales, but the E0 can apparently take a slight amount more heat. If you are looking for a record you might worry about it, otherwise just grab the best deal.