Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2009 3:46:58 AM

Hey guys, I'm planning on replacing my Integrated ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 card and I don't know which one to buy.

I'm a little worried that I might buy a card that isn't compatible with my PC so I came here first.
I need specific GFX cards that are compatible with my computer. I want a 256mb card that's decent yet affordable. If you guys dont have any ideas, please kindly tell me what to look for in a GFX card to find if it's compatible or not.

My computer specs are :

Compaq Presario SR1772x
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz (CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM

Current GFX card: Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series 256.0MB

and yes, my motherboard supports PCI-Express x16 slots.

Please help guys and all assistance will be very much appreciated.

More about : graphics card

January 2, 2009 4:06:14 AM

do have a budget and at what resolution would you be playing?
January 2, 2009 4:24:38 AM

Try the radeon 4670
under 80 bucks and is a really powerful card (mid range graphics, but leaps and bounds over what you have now - and does not require more than a 300 watt power supply)
Related resources
January 2, 2009 4:25:44 AM

well your current 'vidcard' is your integrated graphics , right? ANY upgrade will be better than what you currently have. Look at the 4830 or 4850. www.newegg.com
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2009 4:25:50 AM

For a prebuilt system like yours it's hard to beat a HD4670. Its low power requirements will be fine for your power supply and it will fit in your PCIex16 socket. It gives decent performance at a price of about $55-$90. Since it's the beginning of the month there's not a lot of rebates available at newegg, they usually come a bit later in the month. This one is $70 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

they'll drop as low as $55 after rebates and with free shipping if you wait or shop around. As with all prebuilt systems adding a graphic card, download hardware monitor and keep an eye on your temps (prebuilts usually have pretty poor cooling)
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2009 6:27:02 AM

The 4830 and 4850 are the best all around options right now, but the 4670 is a major option for a tight budget.
!