Sign in with
Your question

Newly buildt computer freezes

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2009 6:40:40 PM

Hello, I just buildt a new gamer rig. But the computer freezes and the second of sound loops. I then gotha reboot my computer with the "Reset" button on the tower.

The specs are:
XFX 790i Motherboard
XFX 280GFX videocard
2 gb Crossair ddr 3 ram
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

When I run "SpeedFAN" it says 90C in system. But when i run the computer in BIOS the CPU temp stays steady on 35c.

What might be the problem? do you need anymore info just ask.
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2009 8:54:34 PM

Update nforce drivers.

I know for a fact its either NVIDIA Graphic Drivers, or NVIDIA nForce drivers (6 months testing to get this far...). I had the same issues on my setup, same as yours, only with a XFX 9800GX2. And yes, its OS independent (among Windows, at least...)

I'm moving to a 4890 today, so if that solves the issue, I still won't be able to definativly know what the issue was, as I updated my nforce drivers yesterday as well.

I'm leaning the nforce route, due to the lack of a BSOD; possibly data getting lost/curropted in one of the bus's on the mobo prehaps.

For temps, use Realtemp or Coretemp; i just find less erouneous values using them...

Let me know if the latest Nforce drivers help out; the latest are from march 13th or 15th...
April 14, 2009 7:26:58 AM

PowerSuply is a Coirsair 750w and the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz.

I currently use the newest Graphics driver, but i am not sure about the motherboard drivers. Gotha check that out when i get home.

But thanks for the quick tips mates.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2009 12:42:34 PM

You can get the latest motherboard drivers stright off the NVIDIA webpage.

My problem seems to have gone away last night, so its either NVIDIA GPU Drivers or NVIDIA Nforce drivers. I'm just not sure which, and I have no intention of putting my GX2 back in to test...

In my testing at least, its random when the lockup happens, although I do know its a total OS lock; no memory dump is even created, so the entire subsystem is being brought down (really hard to do). Thats why I suspect nforce drivers, as only data currpuption at the board level could bring down everything to the point where the OS can't even get in a memory dump...

Its OS Independent; I can replicate on XP32 and Vista 64 with clean installs + drivers.

Also note, at least for my GX2, all GPU drivers prior to 174.40 worked perfectly for months on end. Too bad the earliest drivers under Vista 64 were 174.5(4?), which do lock up. I also noted later drivers seem more likely to lock up; 178.24 would be ok for a few days, then crashy for a few days, where every 180+ driver would lock up within an hour.

Finally, I never locked up doing nothing that was not involved with the GPU. Multiple virus scans + Prime95 + Intelburntest = OK. Opening an IE window = Not OK.

I was stupid for not trying newer nforce drivers ages ago...that would have eliminated another variable for you to test. Odds are, thats the issue, but I can't say for certain. I'll be testing my new Non-NVIDIA GPU over the next week, and I'll let you know if I lock up or not during that itme. (If so, I'm going to be TICKED).
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2009 12:56:45 PM

A few other points; its entirly possible its the GPU at fault; I've seen simmilar lockups on non-nforce boards reported, especially with 9000 series cards, so the board itself might not even be an issue.

Also, some games seem far more prone to crashing then others. Anything in OpenGL seems far more likely to crash (Stardock in particular), any Tom Clancy game (Especially Splinter Cell: Double Agent) is very prone to lockups, while others (BF2 and CSS) are remarkably stable. I don't even know exactly what action triggers the lockup at this point...

Again, if I run a week without crashing, that elminates all but nforce drivers and NVIDIA GPU (Drivers?) on this particular board. If I do crash, that leaves us with just the 790i Ultra itself. Either way, in about a week of testing, I'll have a much better idea what the issue itself is. For now, do nothing but update your nforce drivers and see if that helps any.
April 15, 2009 7:22:26 AM

While i was downloading new drivers for the Mainboard my computer freezed. I thought "ok, il just reboot and finish the driver download and il might be set for the future". But now the internal ethernet port got its issues. It wont let me connect to the internett. Could this be a new symptom or is it just another problem all together?
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2009 3:47:24 PM

WideBoy said:
While i was downloading new drivers for the Mainboard my computer freezed. I thought "ok, il just reboot and finish the driver download and il might be set for the future". But now the internal ethernet port got its issues. It wont let me connect to the internett. Could this be a new symptom or is it just another problem all together?

It did that to me once too...Save to desktop, in case that happens again.

I've long since ruled out other causes, due mainly to the fact you would have bluescreened at some point if the OS noticed an error. Could be RAM or overheating in your particular case, but i doubt it. As for the ethernet port, that is an odd one...

If you have to, download the nforce drivers to a CD/DVD and install them off that.

I tested my 4890+new nforce drivers for 3 hours yesterday on Splinter Cell, a game which I never ran for more then 2 hours without a lockup, without issue, so my issue looks like it cleared up. Some NVIDIA driver is borked somewhere, and odds point to old nforce drivers.

Annoying, I know, but aside from a total OS lock (only a minor point :D ), the 790i is a great board. And again, it looks to be a driver issue, not the board itself.
April 15, 2009 7:11:57 PM

I had a BFG 7900 GS a while back that liked to do the standard lockup with sound looping. Eventually, it got so bad that the card started to artifact. Things that helped were:

Updating Drivers
Rolling Back Drivers
Reseating the GPU HSF, and adding a fresh layer of Arctic Silver 5
Turning up the fan speed.
Getting a new GPU

Generally looping like this means either an overheating GPU, a faulty GPU, or an unstable system. It wouldn't hurt to run Prime95 for a few hours, just to make sure it isn't being caused by the CPU.
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2009 8:40:43 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
I had a BFG 7900 GS a while back that liked to do the standard lockup with sound looping. Eventually, it got so bad that the card started to artifact. Things that helped were:

Updating Drivers
Rolling Back Drivers
Reseating the GPU HSF, and adding a fresh layer of Arctic Silver 5
Turning up the fan speed.
Getting a new GPU

Generally looping like this means either an overheating GPU, a faulty GPU, or an unstable system. It wouldn't hurt to run Prime95 for a few hours, just to make sure it isn't being caused by the CPU.

Again, i tested this exact situation for 6 months. I once had Prime95, IntelBurn, and SuperPi going on all my cores at the same time, which more or less rules out the CPU. (Besides, if it was a CPU error, it would be chronic, not an on/off thing)

And again, I've ruled it to bad NVIDIA Nforce drivers or bad NVIDIA GPU Drivers; I just don't know which was the problem...
April 15, 2009 8:43:47 PM

gamerk316 said:
Again, i tested this exact situation for 6 months. I once had Prime95, IntelBurn, and SuperPi going on all my cores at the same time, which more or less rules out the CPU. (Besides, if it was a CPU error, it would be chronic, not an on/off thing)

And again, I've ruled it to bad NVIDIA Nforce drivers or bad NVIDIA GPU Drivers; I just don't know which was the problem...

I already know you did some of that- it was a copy of an older post of mine. Still thought it applied.
April 18, 2009 4:26:43 PM

I have now installed the drivers, but the ethernet port is still giving me issues. In the network and sharing center it says i am only connected to a unindetified network. Anyideas? This computer is realy starting to piss me off :( 
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2009 12:31:44 PM

...Well, my freezing issue is back. The 790i can be pickey based on its reputation, but I'n not sure what caused mine to go off after 7 months stable...

I tried more voltage, and that failed badly. Now trying linked RAM-FSB...

EDIT

For clarity, I'm currently testing a linked FSB-RAM while giving the RAM more voltage (1.85 instead of 1.7 recommended). RAM was underclocked as a result, but with tighter timings. I'll post later this week (monday probably) if I make it a week without a crash.

I also have all my other components overvolted (just to eliminate them as variables), and thanks to linux know its OS independent (hardware level). Feel free to try to bug XFX if you want though, as I would love an end all solution...
!