Is there a way to check a MOBO?

I asked my friends for old PCs and/or parts to build some machines for a kindergarden, so the kids can play educational games, I've built 3 machines so far and have parts for maybe 2 or 3 more.

One of the PCs I got is a nice one, it has an Athlon XP I think which is overkill for the use it will have, but the problem is that it didn't recognize the keyboard nor the mouse.

Then I tried the KB and the mouse on a different machine and they didn't work either.

Both of the devices were working before, so my first question is:

Can the MOBO have a short that could have damaged the mouse and the keyboard?

BTW the keyboard is a PS/2 and the mouse is USB.

I tried the mouse in the front and back USB ports and with a USB adapter for PS/2.

I opened the mouse and one of the ICs has a little white on it so it looks like it got burnt.

I tried my USB memory and it got recognized.

My second question is:

Is there a way to check the mobo, to make sure that it doesn't have a short that will damage another KB and/or mouse?

Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about check mobo
  1. my best advise is to try a old USB mouse first and see what happens, it highly unlikely that the board couldve killed both the KB and mouse.... becoz of the different interfaces, but ye... like i said try a old USB mouse and check if the board kills that too.....
  2. I do the same thing. I gatherup old computers and parts and build "give-away systems".

The only suggestion I have is the same Dur_TriX. Use old, known good throwaway parts.

I do have another suggestion that may save you some time. I always breadboard a new build before I put it in a case. Here's what I mean:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html
  3. jsc said:
    I do the same thing. I gatherup old computers and parts and build "give-away systems".

The only suggestion I have is the same Dur_TriX. Use old, known good throwaway parts.

I do have another suggestion that may save you some time. I always breadboard a new build before I put it in a case. Here's what I mean:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

I think that I will have to do that.
    It's hard to work inside the cases when troubleshooting.
  4. Yes. And the little Dysan floppy box full of salvaged case wiring really comes in handy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Mice Keyboards