Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Recommendations

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2009 10:24:03 AM

Can someone please recommend the best graphics card for a 200 to 300 pound budget please. Best performance and lifetime.

I have been thinking about the BFG 8800GTS 640Mb PCI-Express overclocked graphics card. What do you think of this, or are there better alternatives?

Best regards,

Dan
January 2, 2009 10:42:37 AM

On overclockers uk you can get a Evga GTX 260 Core 216 for £250 which is far better or a 4870 from £190 - £220.
Related resources
January 2, 2009 10:57:48 AM

You're a star, thank you!
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2009 11:37:23 AM

Since you were originally looking at a 2-3 generation old GPU as an upgrade, could we know your system's spec. There is no point in spending £200-£300 if your CPU will hold it back. Depending on your system, a 4850 might be a better choice.
January 2, 2009 12:21:38 PM

Oldish system.

Intel 3.2 Ghz Processor Single Core
Asus P5SD1 FM2 Motherboard
2GB DDR Ram
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD
Hercules Digifire 7.1 sound
Flatscreen Monitor (Not digital)
1 x PCI express slot - Not 2.0

If the PCI express is not 2.0 will the new card still work?

I'm unsure if my setup is a little old now. Hopefully I can upgrade the card and then the mobo at a later date.

Do you also have any mobo recommendations.

Thanks for the help. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.
January 2, 2009 12:31:14 PM

the card will work regardless of if you have pci express 2.0. you might wanna consider spending a little less on a video card and get a new cpu at the same time. single core now falls into the obsolete category.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2009 12:35:20 PM

Yes your system is getting old, if you are into gaming (which you must be or else you wouldn't want to upgrade the graphic card), you should start considering complete system replacement (CPU, MB, RAM, GPU and possibly HDD).

PCI-E 1 and 2 are inter-compatible, no problem there, but a GTX 260 or 4870 will definitely be held back by the CPU.

Do you know the brand and model of you PSU?
January 2, 2009 12:38:02 PM

look at this months $625 system builder marathon PC and upgrade to that. Otherwise you will do like I did; try to build piece by piece and wind up spending a lot more then necessary.

For the record, before I upgraded everything (I had a very similar system) last year I upgraded the gpu to the 8800gts and saw little to no improvement.
January 2, 2009 12:50:29 PM

The CPU is not a great brand, but can't remember the exact name. I think I'm going to upgrade to one of the systems you recommend here.

I don't know whether to spend out on the enthusiasts, or the 625 or the mid range, but the truth is their all probably a million times better than my current one, which to me at the moment, doesn't seem too bad. But I'm sure I'll see the difference when i try the new system. Many thanks again!
January 2, 2009 12:52:48 PM

The CPU is not a great brand, but can't remember the exact name. I think I'm going to upgrade to one of the systems you recommend here.

I don't know whether to spend out on the enthusiasts, or the 625 or the mid range, but the truth is they're all probably a million times better than my current one, which to me at the moment, doesn't seem too bad. But I'm sure I'll see the difference when i try the new system. Many thanks again!
January 2, 2009 1:23:48 PM

seogoat said:

I don't know whether to spend out on the enthusiasts, or the 625 or the mid range, but the truth is they're all probably a million times better than my current one, which to me at the moment, doesn't seem too bad. But I'm sure I'll see the difference when i try the new system. Many thanks again!

lol. trust me, you don't know how true your words are. once u've upgraded, you will never, wait...you CAN'T go back to the old system. you're deciding on your build, give us a budget or what kinda games you will want to run and what resolution, we'll be able to help you with that info.
January 2, 2009 1:43:05 PM

I think I'm going to be going for the build a marathon pc range. Have the compents been tested and compared with others, to ensure they're the best for the price etc.
January 2, 2009 2:06:51 PM

seogoat said:
I think I'm going to be going for the build a marathon pc range. Have the compents been tested and compared with others, to ensure they're the best for the price etc.

it is a good reference system to begin with and it's fine to go with it. but, here is just a few examples of how you would save even more money using other parts. if you are really going for budget, and have better performance/ratio value.

E5200 - great OC-er. if you ever plan to. 82$. good at stock speed even if you don't
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill 2x2 Gb 4-4-4-12 1.8-1.9v 44.99$ good timings with low voltage.

right off the bat, i just saved your 40$. take 10$ out of that 40, and spend it on a hard-drive, and you'll increase your storage from 500$ to 750gb.

WD Caviar 7500AAKS 750gb 75$

but it's your call.
January 2, 2009 2:08:18 PM

*FORGOT ram link and wouldn't let me edit.

it is a good reference system to begin with and it's fine to go with it. but, here is just a few examples of how you would save even more money using other parts. if you are really going for budget, and have better performance/ratio value.

E5200 - great OC-er. if you ever plan to. 82$. good at stock speed even if you don't
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] &Tpk=E5200

G.Skill 2x2 Gb 4-4-4-12 1.8-1.9v 44.99$ good timings with low voltage.

right off the bat, i just saved your 40$. take 10$ out of that 40, and spend it on a hard-drive, and you'll increase your storage from 500$ to 750gb.

WD Caviar 7500AAKS 750gb 75$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136131

but it's your call.

!