Sign in with
Your question

Any upcoming nforce 980a motherboards with SLI and DDR3 support?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2009 9:42:56 PM

Hi,

I currently have a GTX260 video card and I would like to upgrade to a sli configuration with a Phenom II 720, hopefully with DDR3 but up to this moment I haven't been able to find any AM3 mobo with sli and ddr3 support.

I know that the new nforce 980a motherboards have support for this but the only one on the market has ddr2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The question is if there's going to be any 980a mobos with sli and ddr3 support? Tried google but no positive results so far.

Thanks.
April 13, 2009 10:06:39 PM

:o  Is this more rebranding or has nVidia managed to sneak a new chipset in under my nose?
April 14, 2009 4:01:32 AM

never knew they brought out the 800 series yet
Related resources
April 14, 2009 4:10:12 AM

Looks like a mix between more nvidia rebrand and another one of ASUS' frankenstein/gimick products. Its not even true AM3, its AM2....what a waste of time.

Or the more likely scenario is this is a real chipset, and Nvidia skipped over "800" on purpose as sort of a slap in the face to Intel as "the 800 series chipsets are/were ment for i7, so....".

Seems it is a "real" nvidia product http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_980a_sli_us... eventhough it offers NOTHING new that you cant get off a 700a board. So apparently instead of Nvidia putting out BIOS to let their 700a boards support AM3 chips they decided to screw everybody in the ass and make them buy new 700a boards tagged as 900.

fud link on the board http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... the last line states our suspicions. What a crock, exactly as i suspected. Youre 700a boards are worthless if you want AM3 support, so give us another $200 for the same exact board.
April 14, 2009 2:30:56 PM

spathotan said:
Looks like a mix between more nvidia rebrand and another one of ASUS' frankenstein/gimick products. Its not even true AM3, its AM2....what a waste of time.

Or the more likely scenario is this is a real chipset, and Nvidia skipped over "800" on purpose as sort of a slap in the face to Intel as "the 800 series chipsets are/were ment for i7, so....".

Seems it is a "real" nvidia product http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_980a_sli_us... eventhough it offers NOTHING new that you cant get off a 700a board. So apparently instead of Nvidia putting out BIOS to let their 700a boards support AM3 chips they decided to screw everybody in the ass and make them buy new 700a boards tagged as 900.

fud link on the board http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... the last line states our suspicions. What a crock, exactly as i suspected. Youre 700a boards are worthless if you want AM3 support, so give us another $200 for the same exact board.

Tell me something I don't know about nVidia heh!

Anyway, no SLI, AM3 and DDR3 for the moment it seems...
April 14, 2009 9:20:29 PM

Well DDR3 versions of the board are planned through vendors (ASUS, EVGA, yadda yadda) but the board/chipset itself is still not true AM3. Its AM2, period.
April 15, 2009 2:20:49 PM

spathotan said:
Well DDR3 versions of the board are planned through vendors (ASUS, EVGA, yadda yadda) but the board/chipset itself is still not true AM3. Its AM2, period.

Still, putting rebranding or renaming or whatever, still looks promising to have a Phenom II running with DDR3 and a SLI config.

Problem is, no important manufacturer seems to care so far... (gigabyte please!!)
April 15, 2009 3:05:24 PM

Gigabyte dosent do high end nvidia chipset boards. They are smarter than that. Infact they only have 2 or 3 nvidia boards period.
June 16, 2009 3:19:31 PM

This is frustrating. Its now well over a month since the nForce 980a made an appearance and so far it is in use on only ONE motherboard (Asus) and they aren't even using the DDR3 capabilities of the chip! Is the lack of uptake with the chip to do with the recent activity by Intel and the lawsuit? Were the motherboard manufacturers paid off or encouraged not to produce AMD boards? I can't understand why the nForce 980a is not being used.

I am looking forward to a socket AM3 board using DDR3, support for SLI and dual Gigabit Ethernet ports to replace my old ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. :bounce: 
October 23, 2009 5:05:55 PM

Managed to get a MSI NF980-G65 from Ebuyer.com before they disappeared. Now I'm waiting for everything else to go with it :) 
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 7:20:20 PM

spathotan said:

Your not making any sense. If it was a AM2/AM2+ mobo it would not support DDR3 memory. Just cause it does not have an SB750 DOES NOT mean its not an AM3 board. Do your homework before you post nonsense....

Typical Intel fanboy'ism ;) 

!