Transfer OS to SSD without losing data on HDD?

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hey,

I'm thinking about incorporating an SSD into my new build. I already have a standard 7200RPM 500GB HDD with Windows 7 and tons of games, video, audio, etc. on it. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer the OS ONLY to the SSD and keep everything else on my HDD without having to reinstall/backup my data. By the way, the SSD I'm looking at is the OCZ Vertex 30GB (it would only be used for the OS and a few select programs like Photoshop and games I play a lot). Here's the link to the SSD just in case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

Thanks in advance!

Not the best idea.

You can do it but.
(1) what is the size of your current "c" drive, if it is bigger than say 25 gigs you can not do a clone. The operating system and a FEW programs will fit on a 30 gig drive, but does not leave much wriggle room.

(2) when you do a "Install" windows 7 aligns the partition, I do not think that happens with a cloning.

What I would do is disconnect yor current drive, do a fresh install then reconnect you load drive. Whith current MB you can then hit F12 (on gigabyte MB) and select to boot from the SSD or your OLd HDD. Also all your data is available.

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
So basically, the OS will be on both but I can choose which to boot from?

Oh, and

1) It's 600GB (I said 500 in description, but I now realize that that's wrong), so I suppose that means no cloning for me.

2) I can live with that.

Also, since I'm using an OEM version of Windows 7. what challenges would that present?

Thanks.

ram1009

Distinguished
I have yet to experience the joy of installing Win 7, however since you have an OEM install disk I'd bet that Microsoft will not allow you to activate the install a second time. If I'm wrong then you only need set your boot priority to the SSD and it will boot to that drive without you having to choose every time.

(1) Yes you can boot to either one. Just make sure you disconnect your 600 Gig HDD before installing operating system on SSD.

(2) As ram1009 stated, set your boot priorty to the SSD and it will boot to the SSD UNLess you hit the F12 (Gigabyte MB, not sure what key for other MBs) which will display all bootable drive and you can then select your "old" HDD.

(3) You should have no trouble installing your "OEM" version. worse case is you will get a message saying that you could not registor and will need to call MS. Just tell them that you changed out the HDD. I've re-installed win 7, and vista OEM versions several times when changing the HDD/SSD and never had a problem. Changing the MB will often prompt a "call MS". Alot depends also on the interval between "installs"

Would help if you identify which operating system we are talking about. Windows 7 supports trim cmd, vista and XP do not. Also other system info such as MB make/model are helpful.

f12ostii

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

im in the same boat...windows 7 home premium
so i should unplug my 1tb hdd...install the OS to my 120g ssd...
set primary boot to the sdd,enable ahci then after that i should have all my data still??
im confused cause i have lots of custom settings on my windows such as rainmeter ,rocket dock objectdock apps and everything tuned to my liking...will i still have all my data the way i left it?

i dont want my ssd i purchase for the better performance to waste all my time and tuning to my computer.

f12ostii

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
basically i just want to add a ssd to my pc to increase performance...while keeping all my settings and data intact..
i really dont want to install windows 7 to the sdd then reinstall all my drivers, programs, games, and updates.....that would make me regret purchasing a ssd.