Sign in with
Your question

We all know the Advantages of Overclocking what are the DISADVANTAGES?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 25, 2010 12:53:07 PM

I hear alot of speculated disadvantages like reducing your proccersor lifespan from 10yrs to 8yrs or 5yrs but really what are all the disadvantages for all components CPU, GPU, PSU, Memory etc.
Are there any real test or studies to support these negative claims? :pfff: 

I know most overclockers would say there is no disadvantage if you do it right :non:  , well back this claim up with some sought of evidence! :o 

I think this is important for potential overclocker who may be afraid of overclocking!!! :sweat: 
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 2:42:22 PM

Ummm....

1. More heat

2. Possible extra cost (ie better heatsink).

3. Takes time.

4. Instability
a c 224 K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 3:24:37 PM

Ray Charles said:
I hear alot of speculated disadvantages like reducing your proccersor lifespan from 10yrs to 8yrs or 5yrs but really what are all the disadvantages for all components CPU, GPU, PSU, Memory etc.
Are there any real test or studies to support these negative claims? :pfff: 

I know most overclockers would say there is no disadvantage if you do it right :non:  , well back this claim up with some sought of evidence! :o 

I think this is important for potential overclocker who may be afraid of overclocking!!! :sweat: 

/////We all know the Advantages of Overclocking

We do? Why don't you list them for us?

///// Are there any real test or studies to support these negative claims?

That is an interesting idea, but the reality is technology is changing so fast, to actually attempt a study like that would end in obsolete hardware before the study was ever completed. So what good would that do the future or past overclocker when the new technology seems to overclock way better than the old did anyway.

/////I think this is important for potential overclocker who may be afraid of overclocking!!!

Now there is your real question isn't it, you are contemplating overclocking but are 100% clueless about it, just as every one of us was before we ventured into it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Overclocking is getting more performance from your computer than you paid for, there's your advantage!

There is a solid difference from the serious overclockers mindset, than the simple overclockers mindset!

The serious overclocker mindset researches and buys his or her hardware intending to overclock it, therefore all their hardware purchasing decisions are affected by their intentions, and the serious overclocker buys overclockable hardware, which cost more and is a disadvantage, if you look at it that way.

The Simple Overclockers Mindset hasn't preplanned a thing, sees others getting higher performance and wants to jump on board the boat completely uneducated in the subject that has caught their attention, which usually ends in disaster and costs more, sometimes an entire rebuild, another disadvantage.

The disadvantages of overclocking are numerous, not only to shortening the hardware lifespan, or the total cost of the endeavor, but possibly completely destroying your hardware from a lack of knowledge.

So in my opinion if you're considering overclocking you need to start studying and learning overclocking guides and How Tos, and educate yourself fully on overclocking, then you will know the answers to all your questions.
Related resources
April 25, 2010 10:17:01 PM

Interesting response 4ryan6....
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 12:07:20 AM

If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?

yes he is there are still women somewhere thus making him wrong
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 7:06:46 PM

2. Yes, definitely not free performance.
5. Possible reduced life.
!