Sign in with
Your question

1 long beep 2 short beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2009 4:10:16 AM

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. I was on Second Life when all of a sudden my screen went black. I restarted and got the 1 long beep 2 short beeps error code, which I know means a video issue. I swapped out the video card for a known working one and got the same thing. I have so far done all of the following:

Cleared C-Mos
Installed a spare mobo
Installed a spare video card
Pulled all memory sticks except one
Installed a spare power supply
Installed a spare PCI keyboard to try to enter BIOS, replacing USB model
Disconnected all hard drives and DVD drive

No matter what I try I keep getting the same error beeps, and both keyboards will not light up or respond to get into BIOS. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do or try at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Original system component (replacement component)

Asus K8V-MX/S (Asus K8N)
Powercolor HD 3850 AGP (MSI 6600GT)
Thermaltake Butterfly 480W PS (Thermaltake TR2-420W)
G-Skill PC3200 DDR RAM - 2 sticks of 1 Gig (Corsair Value Select 512MB - 3 sticks)
Maxtor Ultra HDD's
Samsung DVD Burner

More about : long beep short beeps

April 14, 2009 4:14:22 PM

I know for Award bios that the code for something wrong with the VGA. Might wanna try a third ghx card just in case.

Would also trying wiggling the ram in the DIMM slot to make sure it gets a good connection.
April 15, 2009 3:47:14 AM

*UPDATE*

Turns out it was a bad stick of memory... replaced the Corsair with another stick and all is back to normal. Thank you copenhagen​lc for steering me toward checking my memory.

Consider this thread closed.
!