Sign in with
Your question

Anybody running 12 GB on Asus P6X58D Premium?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 25, 2010 5:54:31 PM

I can run 6 GB (3x2) of Corsair tr3x6g1333c9 with no stability issues at all on my new Asus P6X58D Premium. I'm running an i7 980x CPU with it. In fact, I left all BIOS settings on "auto", and it's all running at manufacturer specs.

At 12 GB, it's a BSOD disaster. I've been asking around various forums and nothing works. The sticks and the motherboard aren't defective at all - Memtest ran for hours on each individually and all 12 as a whole, and whenever I can get into Win7, it sees all 12 GB just fine. It's just totally unstable, clearly a configuration issue.

I want 12 GB for heavy duty Photoshop and video work. Asus support told me that 12 GB requires all kinds of tweaks and that I shouldn't expect it to run on "auto" like the 6 GB has done. I find that annoying.

So my question is, for those who have 12 GB RAM on this board, please tell me your RAM brand/model and also your BIOS settings, because I'm resigning myself to the fact that I will never get 12 GB of my current RAM working. Somebody must have 12 GB running well on this motherboard. Of course, with the i7 980x, I wonder if somebody's settings with, say, an i7 920 may not work, since the various ratios and multiples are different. I am willing to try anything though.

Thanks,
Brian
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 7:01:03 PM

Are you ready to adjust any voltages yet?

If you are at that point, go into the Bios and MANUALLY set the Speed (1333), Timings (10-10-10-26) and up the voltage to 1.64v (NO it's not going to hurt your ram). See if it works. If it does you can try to lower your vdimm voltage and see what the minimum that is required to run the 12 Gbs. Then try to return your ram to it's rated specs of 9-9-9-24.

Now if that doesn't cure it, go into the Bios and up your QPI/VTT voltage to 1.35v and see if that works, if that does, do the same thing and lower to find the minimum.

NEITHER of these will HURT or negatively EFFECT your system in any way.

m
l
April 25, 2010 9:51:56 PM

Thanks. I already tried setting the speed to 1333 MHz manually, timings to 9-9-9-24, DRAM Bus voltage to 1.64, and QPI/DRAM core voltage to 1.35... no improvement.

The Asus forums seem to regard the Dram Bus Voltage as the main voltage number and the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage as something different, but Asus support told me today that QPI/DRAM Core Voltage is the primary voltage number. I don't believe him...

At any rate, I haven't tried this with 10-10-10-26 timings, so I'll give it a shot when I get home on Tuesday night.

Thanks,
Brian
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 11:18:16 PM

Yep, you have it right, the QPI/DRAM is the VTT and the Bus is the vDimm.

I love the way they like to change the labeling to mess with everyone.
m
l
May 18, 2010 8:51:47 PM

I'm running 12GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C9Ver2.1 on this board with a 980x at the stock settings and no issues.
m
l
!