No post troubleshooting

fluid13700

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I recently purchased the following parts to build my new box.

--Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550
--Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
--GIGABYTE GV-R487X2-2GH-B Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
--(2x aka 8gb total) CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
--ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

The hard drive I took from my old box:
--Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
The dvd-rom drive is an old IDE Plextor drive.

The box won't post. No beeps and nothing on the monitor. The fans run and I can hear the hard drive. The Radeon 4870x2 has 5 red LED lights. The middle light blinks every ~3 seconds.
To troubleshoot I removed all the RAM and get 3 long beeps. I also checked my wire connections.

The fact that I get 3 long beeps when I remove the RAM makes me suspect the 4870x2 or the mobo is DOA. Unfortunately I don't have a PCIE card to try.

Do 3 long beeps when you boot the system w/ out RAM rule out the CPU?
Any toubleshooting tips or suggestions?

Maybe you should open your motherboard manual and look up what 3 long beeps means.

You said you checked the wire connections so I'm assuming you plugged in both the 8-pin and 6-pin connectors on the GPU as well as the 24-pin motherboard power connector and the 4/8-pin CPU power connector near the CPU socket? The CPU power connector has a cover over 4 pins. Your PSU has both a 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power cable. You might as well take off the cover and use the 8-pin connector.

fluid13700

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
3 long beeps means no RAM, which is a good thing because I get those beeps when I boot the system with no RAM. Just to clarify I dont get any beeps if I connect everything... but I dont get a display.

Yes, all of the power cables are connected including both the GPU power connections.

Additional troubleshooting I booted with the GPU connected but with no power connections to it and the 3 right most LED lights stay on solid if I do that. The problem seems to be associated with the middle LED on the radeon. It flashes every ~3 seconds. I tried to look up what the LEDs mean and from what I can tell that is the Critical Overheat LED. That doesn't make any sense though unless the card is bad.